Author Topic: 52 LOST BOATS  (Read 18171 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 52 LOST BOATS
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »
www.uboat.net used to have all of the German U- boats on there and their fates, and yes it included the one that was raised a few years ago :knuppel2:   it still had LIVE torpedos onboard and the remains of some of her crew if I remember correctly.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 05:26:34 PM »
Yep ina few months there raising the U-2something the one with the mercury historical wreck becuse of what it ALMOST did...and yes in the otherone the british were probley proud to see some germens and a few live torpedos :knuppel2:
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 05:43:33 PM »
From www.uboat.net (still up and running)

U-864 to undergo further research before possible raising
Posted on: 6 Mar 2010 at 20:52.

The U-864, sunk 9 Feb, 1945 in the North Sea west of Bergen, Norway while carrying massive amounts of toxic Mercury, is to undergo further research before it will be raised as the former research was deemed not good enough.

The new target for possible raising of the wreck is 2012.

Source: Bergens Tiderne. UbÄtvraket skal utredes videre (5 March 2010).

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »
What is mercury anyway isnt it like a....chemical they put in weopons or jet feul? if im correct they wanted to get the mercury to japan.. anyway i hope they do get the vessel out of the water but just soo maney risk along with it  :police:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 07:08:43 PM by BrokenArrowtiger »
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 04:57:58 PM »
Mercury is used in a lot of processes and products, including thermometers and thermostats.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »
Thanks mark, il look back on the cargo list of the sub