Author Topic: Text messaging ripoff by your phone carrier  (Read 4882 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Text messaging ripoff by your phone carrier
« on: December 29, 2008, 08:47:33 AM »
OK, I found this news a bit interesting this morning and thought everyone needs to read about the phone companies scam of charging you for text messaging when in fact the transmission of that message is costing them nothing. :tickedoff:

http://www.startertech.com/2008/12/29/text-message-rates/

:knuppel2: The New York Times has taken a look in to the Senate antitrust subcommittee’s investigation of text messaging rates, and it is a scary result to be sure.  While the main focus of the investigation has been to determine why text messaging rates have doubled over the past three years, it seems that even $.01 would be too much to pay for a text.  :knuppel2:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Text messaging ripoff by your phone carrier
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:42:05 AM »
This is a typical Technology issue.  I worked the indurstry for 15 years and watched how they rapped the general public because if ignorance (on the publics part).   This kind of thing is why I do not work the technology/coporate industry anymore.    :tickedoff:

Offline nomad66

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Text messaging ripoff by your phone carrier
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 12:12:07 PM »
Same thing with the telephone companies charging extra for TouchTone service.  When the old mechanical telephone switches were replaced with solid state processor controlled digital switches, TouchTone service didin't require any extra equipment and used much less resources than the old dial pulse did. The telephone companies happily went on charging the public more for TouchTone service because the old switches required more equipment for it. :tickedoff: