Author Topic: Batfish Gun Locker  (Read 18838 times)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
Batfish Gun Locker
« on: January 05, 2009, 02:32:46 PM »
Last Saturday also started a 4 day in a row work week for Cody, Travis Franklin, and myself.

In addition to freezing all three nights, we finished the displays in the wardroom, captain's cabin, and goat's locker.

We cleaned the crap out of the galley and crew's mess as well as polished some stainless while we were there.

The cold stores locker is ready for display if yours truely can ever remember to get to Lowes and pick up four large bolts to secure the grate to the floor and we cleaned out the arms locker.

On February 20th, you will find the gun cabinets fully stocked with 03 Springfields, 1911's, 1919's, Thompsons, carbines, trench guns, and period 40's ammo boxes.

We were able to trace the power supply lines into the boat. They enter the boat from the air salvage line to the after engine room (which coincidentally is where one of the leaks are).

We've also been studying the wiring diagrams to contemplate the feasability of hooking up power to the shore terminals although this may be a huge undertaking.

We had quite a nice work week.

Correy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Batfish Gun Locker
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »
Are you going to run a dehumidier in gun locker?  I'd hate to see all of those weapons rust from moisture. 

I think the shore power hook-up runs the power aft to the maneuvering room and then it is dispersed from there.  The Torsk guys highly recommend verifying all cable connections and their condition (plus fuse boxes and switches) before running power to anything.  Remember that most lighting on the boat is no longer tied into the original electrical system - not sure about emergency lighting connections (other than battery connections, which we know are long gone).  The original shore power connections would make it a lot easier to power other original equipment, but none of that stuff has been overhauled.  We really need some electrical gurus to devote some serious time to these aspects - I know enough to be dangerous.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
Batfish Gun Locker
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:56:36 PM »
How long are the guns going to be on display? For Feb. 20th or permanent? If for a long time maybe oiling the guns would be a good thing. How did they keep them from rusting when out to sea?
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Batfish Gun Locker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 10:40:36 PM »
Man you need a crapload of cosmoline I tell ya what!

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Batfish Gun Locker
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 12:36:30 AM »
There was a product called VVL-800 (cleaner/ preservative) it didn't work as well as CLP which means that your small arms petty officer had to do maintenance monthly (sometimes sooner) on the weapons that were not used topside and those topside were maintainend accordingly due to the amount of humidity(rain/snow/etc). The problem with CLP is that it is an atmosphere contaminate and not kept on 688's (legally of course)  ;)   Sadly I have seen .45's turn rust colored before being brought down to be cleaned and yes I have even had to take a number of them to the Subase Armory in Pearl to use their solvent tanks to clean the rust out of them and get the firing pins out because they were rusted in place, I think that the first pair of whites that I had to replace were stained with rust from the .45 and the 12GA that I wore topside a few times when it was more then humid out.....

With CLP you should be good with your small arms for a number of months without having to clean them as long as no one handles them or plays with them, if they do no big deal a quick wipe down with a paper towel (or rag, my preference) will preserve them just nicely. For the first 6 months (if these are permenant display) I would clean them monthly and then go to quarterly if they are not requiring anything other then a light touch up once a month. IF you can't get CLP then don't worry about it any GOOD gun cleaning preservative will be just fine...

Hey Correy talk to your Armorer and see if he will donate a spray bottle full of CLP for the boat, I used to keep it by the gallon when I was the armorer in 3d ID and even when I was the small arms petty officer on the Honolulu.

And Lance,
COSMOLINE is some NASTY stuff to get out of the weapons once it has been applied, brake cleaner works fine and I have been told that steam cleaning works pretty good also along with a very long bath in a solvent tank ;)

Mark,
you got it brother, check everything out before trying to apply power to anything onboard because you don't want to burn your pride and joy down to the waterline..... er... ah.... the the keel blocks ;)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Batfish Gun Locker
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 12:40:20 AM »
IF you can find a place in your small arms locker or surrounding area a dehumidifier is priceless, forgot to mention that one earlier sorry :coolsmiley:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Batfish Gun Locker
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 01:19:08 AM »
Yeah, cosmoline is nasty to get off.  We used gasoline earlier I think.

CLP is a great product.  I use it to clean my 1911s unless they are really really dirty.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Batfish Gun Locker
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 07:51:56 AM »
Some take a couple of pictures of that fully armed armor locker - please... :coolsmiley:

Also no one has mentioned this but if you do not plan on displaying your guns all the time consider a gun sock.  Here is straight from Calelas:

Silicone-treated, polyester/acrylic gun socks give valuable firearms protection against rust, dirt and scratches. The fabric won't hold moisture, making these gun socks ideal for year-round storage. Four different sizes to choose from to accommodate virtually any gun - scoped or unscoped. Extra-wide version stretches for use with large scopes. Drawstring closure. Made in USA.
# Sizes: Scoped Rifle/Shotgun - 52"
# Extra Wide Scoped Rifle/Shotgun - 52"
# Handgun - 13.5"
# Muzzleloader - 66"

I'm not sure that one will fit the Thompsons, but you can cut two in half and sew them together - probably go down to some local clearners and find one that does himming.  It wouldn't cost much.

I use these gun socks on all of my guns and when I take one out after long periods the gun is still lookin good.  Clean good and lightly oil them down before storing in a gun sock and you will be in good shape.  These are very cheap - running from $4 to $7. 
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Batfish Gun Locker
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 09:11:13 AM »
I split this out into it's own thread
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 11:54:51 AM »
JT, All of my weapons are stored in gun socks at home inside of their gun cases.  It keeps them looking as nice as the day I put them away - sometimes for years.

The dehumidifer is still the best bet, since the boat only runs the air about 4 months out of the year.  With the storage rooms being the lowest points on the boat, cold, moist air will collect there more than anywhere else.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Brad

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2009, 08:48:36 PM »
I'm a gun loving fool, so small arms and the Batfish is a great topic! 

If the weapons are going to be on long term display in the gun locker, another option to consider is desiccant, depending on how well 'sealed' the gun locker is.  I use it exclusively in my safe, though it sits inside a temperature controlled house.  As far as preserving the metal finish of the weapons, CLP works well, is easily available (Walmart even carries the stuff), and is relatively cheap.  The combination of desiccant and CLP has worked extremely well for my stuff.  Cosmoline is very nasty stuff and suitable for long term storage and preservation rather than weapons that are going to be displayed and handled routinely.  It is particularly nasty on and in wood and takes considerable work to remove without damaging wooden furniture. 

Are the 1919s and Thompsons demils/dummies or semi only guns?

-Brad

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 09:03:45 PM »
I have another sea story  8) but will save it for later.  God I loved our Thompson!  :smitten:  I wish I had one today (alias in New Jersey I'd be an honest criminal)  :'(
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
Ok, wow this took off!

The weapons displays will be perminantly temporary. Twice a year we'll open up the arms locker and display our assortment of small arms. They're original weapons and since the boat is completely seperated from the museum with very little or no supervision aboard, we'll only display the weapons while the living history crew is aboard. They will provide enough deterrant to keep people from running away with anything and will also be able to demonstrate and discuss each weapon for the public. This is one area that I don't want to mess around and get something stolen. I'll be sure to take pictures so you all can see what it looks like.

Offline Brad

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 10:39:37 PM »
So some of these are registered C&R Title II machine guns owned by the museum?  Very cool.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 11:41:32 PM »
"The weapons displays will be perminantly temporary. Twice a year we'll open up the arms locker and display our assortment of small arms"

HUH????????????

Correy you are freakin KILLING ME HERE :knuppel2:.

display them when your crew is onboard and then lock them up when your crew leaves for the day, there is way too much money in those weapons or replica's NOT to show them more then a few times a year.. This isn't an Army Arm's Room, this is a real life museum display (if ya make it so) and it should be showed. At least IMHO, I have carried 5 Aviation companies worth of weapons and not showed them to the public and only opened the arms room up to have the weapons cleaned/fired/ and used for road marches and in hind sight I would have opened it up more IF there was some one willing to pay to see them.