Author Topic: Silly question about light colors  (Read 13646 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: Silly question about light colors
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 07:35:28 PM »
OK pink periscopes and pink curtains in submarines - what the heck is going on is this the new "Don't ask  Don't tell bubbleheads running around?" What next - fuchsia bath towels?  :crazy2:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2009, 07:53:27 PM »
Then I shouldn't tell you about the pink manuvering room joke ;)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2009, 08:55:36 PM »
 :DThose guys were a bit strange anyway :crazy2:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2009, 10:13:13 PM »
all loafer kidding aside (for the moment)...

the story of the scope is this:   We built a tower in 1983 or so and obtained a WWII Type 2 attack scope for outside display. In 1988 a woman crashed through the fence and clipped one of the four legs of the tower, causing the scope to fall over. The thin head section hit a rather substantial steel garbage can at the foot of COD's brow... the scope sliced through the quarter-inch steel casting that was the hood like a hot know through butter! OUCH!  But the head was bent in a C-shaped curve.   The new tower is not going to fall over (the next woman drive will go the morgue, according to the welding who built the new tower)... the USN gave us a Type 8 post-war scope (search type, used on Guppy boats)...

The old scope barrel was used by Kollmorgen to build a new scope for foreign service (according to Paul Lapinsky, field rep for KM)... the headbox and internal optics were sent to the Corning Glass Museum in Corning NY as a display (would love to see that!)... and we kept the head, which was straightened out and made into the display inthe ATR...

Even funnier, I was at a house party in 1988 and a girl attending was telling those at the party that she worked for an auto insurance company and that they had gotten a call from some submarine guys who said her client had destroyed their periscope... she didn't know what a periscope was and didn't believe that there was a submarine in cleveland!  Needless to say, she was set straight within a few minutes... she turned pale when I mentioned that the WWII scope that was destroyed had a "as new" price tag close to a half-million dollars in 1943!   Small world!

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 11:44:48 PM »
Thanks Paul for putting the accurate account on the periscope "incident" I couldn't remember all of the details of the incident and I am to this day amazed by COD :smitten:   And NO I AM NOT giving up the TORSK, put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into her to give her up now..

In 1996 I was a EO3(SS) USNR sailor in Dayton, Ohio..attached to NMCB1 out of Gulfport, Miss when we did our reserve center change of command and the out going CO made the comment about why did a Reservist unit in Dayton, Ohio have a reserve SUBMARINE unit (NSSF NLON DET 505 which I was also a member of) there in ohio...... The out going CO straight faced told the group that we had a Submarine on the bottom in the Ohio River in Cincinatti and we trained on her once a month and we moved her 2 weeks a year when we weren't at NLON at various shops. :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

In '97 we decommed that Reserve Center 2 weeks before I returned back to active duty in the Army and while I am a plank owner of that station and the USS LY Spear I don't have either plank owner certificates due to my ex-wife :knuppel2:  I was told that I recieved them and an award but again I have never seen any of them :knuppel2: :knuppel2:\

Being an Ohio native I can say that the first time that I can remember walking through the USS COD was during the Thanksgiving break '08, thanks Paul.. I owe ya one.. Come on out in October during the work weekend and you will see a fine crew at their absolute best and hopefully I will be stateside and able to make it ;) and I will make sure that I buy you lunch 8)