Author Topic: Submarine Spare Parts  (Read 22159 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Submarine Spare Parts
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:12:39 AM »
Well, there has been some talk about spare parts, trading parts, etc...so I just thought I'd ask:

Who has them and how can we exchange them?  I have no idea being just a volunteer and no administrative power whatsoever, but I'm not afraid to try and get the ball rolling.

I know at one time the BATFISH was trying to trade a pump to the PAMPANITO in exchange for a spare TDC shell.  That fell through due to "politics".  But if other boats have spare gauges and other parts just laying around...can we set up a donation or "part trade" program to get boats parts they don't have...like depth gauges for the BATFISH (hint hint).

There...I've thrown the question out there...what say ye?

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Submarine Spare Parts
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 04:44:37 AM »
Great Idea, a submarine swap shop. As a volunteer we of course have to go thru the park boss.

Anyone have an extra wrench for the purifier coupling nuts?
Tom Bowser

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 04:42:44 PM »
We should have a volunteer meeting somewhere that is convenient for all of us, where we can get together, talk about the subs, and exchange parts.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 04:47:40 PM »
Mark, which pump were they trying to trade?  I'm assuming that it would be a bilge or trim pump, since a local hydraulics company got their hydraulics and scopes working, again.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 06:19:17 PM »
Travis
We are trying to set up a meeting room at the USSVI convention in Sept in Ft. Worth and get represenatives from all museum boats together. All musuem boats should have a notice about it by now.
Tom Bowser

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 07:26:53 PM »
Mark, which pump were they trying to trade?  I'm assuming that it would be a bilge or trim pump, since a local hydraulics company got their hydraulics and scopes working, again.

I can't remember exactly...it's been several years that this happened.  I think it was a low pressure something or other...I think I could point it out for you.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 07:52:08 PM »
Travis
We are trying to set up a meeting room at the USSVI convention in Sept in Ft. Worth and get represenatives from all museum boats together. All musuem boats should have a notice about it by now.
Tom Bowser

I had that in mind, but I just could not remember where it was at so I did not want to post wrong info. lol.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:19:33 PM »
We should have a volunteer meeting somewhere that is convenient for all of us, where we can get together, talk about the subs, and exchange parts.

Like Tom said, the USSVI Lockwood Internet Base is putting together a submarine museum boat get together at the 2008 USSVI Convention.

http://www.ussvi2008.com/

I was hoping this forum would get the ball rolling before the September meeting.  After the convention Rontini should have some good stuff for the SaveOurSubmarines.com website.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 09:46:41 AM »
I can't remember exactly...it's been several years that this happened.  I think it was a low pressure something or other...I think I could point it out for you.

Probably the low-pressure air compressor.  I bet they wanted it for the hydraulic system, because there is a pressure flask with air and oil in it that requires 10 - 25 PSI of air.  The flask is used to operate the hydraulic system when the pumps are off or multiple hydraulic systems are in use and the system needs a sudden boost.  Also, the flask prevents things like water hammer effects.

If we get our hydraulics running, again, I'm going to see if we really need the flask in operation or not, since we only want to use the periscopes and they won't be used that often.  Dropping the scopes may cause a water hammer effect, though.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 05:08:03 PM »
I cannot speak for the other boats, but I have the ability to assign Asst Curator duties to those who want it.  I have done this with Dennis Gilbert already (that is how we got the MK 37 and MK 16 topedos).  Keep in mind that final approval needs to come through me and the board.  I have not had any problems with this. 

Tom.  I get a lot of meeting requests.  I veguly remember talking to someone about a meeting in Texas and a meeting in South Carolina.   Which meeting are you talking about for this sub boat get together.  I would be very interested in being involved.   

Rick

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
Rick
The National Sub vet convention in Ft. Worth starts on 1 Sept. We are trying to get some one from every museum boat to come and discuss their boat and what their needs are and their plans, would be great to have you there. Best would probably be thursday and friday.
Tom Bowser

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 09:30:50 PM »
I am definately going to do what I can.  Am I going to need to prepare any type of presentation or just bring my self?  I will try and pass this on to the other museums and stire up some more interest.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:33:09 AM »
I hope to be there, too.  They would like each museum to set up a display and have someone available to answer questions.  The more of us that go, the better we can rotate and have a chance to visit other boats and attend activities. 

The museum meeting is an extra "event" at the convention that will allow everyone involved to get in some face time and talk about the dirty details of maitaining these things.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »
Photos would be great, also a wish list of items you need or would like to have and a list of any extra parts or items you might have.
Tom

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 08:39:44 PM »
That could take time.  The museum is very disorganized up here.   

I am putting this as a request for my volunteers.