Author Topic: Submarine Spare Parts  (Read 22164 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Submarine Spare Parts
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 09:31:07 PM »
I am putting this as a request for my volunteers.

Where do we start?  We are missing so much...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 09:12:25 AM »
Start in the area that you have taken ownership of.   If you see something that we need list it.  We also want to start working a priority list as well.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
Let me suggest this starting point:

Most of your visitors don't know (or care) about the low pressure blower or hydraulic system. They want to see those things aboard your sub that they can directly relate to (The Russell Booth Rule) -- "WHERE DO THEY EAT, SLEEP, AND GO TO THE BATHROOM?"

Using this as a guide, you begin with the galley, crews mess, and berthing spaces. That means dishes, towels, bunks, etc. This can be an easy ONE-Man job, as it was (and still is) aboard COD.  And let me tell you, it pays big dividends. Once we got the Martha Stewart aspects of COD up to some level of readyness, we were able to find talent to help with our engineering restoration. But to most visitors, whether the dinky runs or not is not important, but seeing 2,000 number Ten food cans (opened on the bottom so they can be stacked in the can locker and look full) is --- also, the visitors aboard COD really changed their behavoir when the boat began looking like the crew still lives aboard. Less vandalism (in fact NONE) and very little pilfering... in fact I provide "sacrificial zincs" in the form of pencils for the sticky fingered to take home... I get half used number 2 lead pencils from thrift stores and my wife's office trash!

Paul

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 10:00:06 AM »
We'll start with the current projects and eventually we'll add more to the list.

At a minimum, I need a microphone and a volume meter for the Class "A" Transmitter Control Station in the control room and a volume meter and 6 push buttons for the switch panel on the 1MC stack. 

The meter on the transmitter station has "VOLUME" on the front of it, according to the manual, and the schematic lists it as the same p/n for the meter on the front of the 1MC switch panel.  It's supposed to be a 2,000 Ohm/Volt, 0-2 Volt Meter.

The microphone on the transmitter station doesn't have a part number listed and refers to a sub-contractor drawing W-130537-506 (as best as I could tell).

The meter on the front of the 1MC control panel is RCA p/n K-867249-1 and is made by Westinghouse.  It was made to a certain Navy specficiation, but the print is too blurred to read it.

The push buttons for the control panel are RCA p/n K-844570-3.

I might be able to find this stuff on various radio parts websites, but it never hurts to ask. 

I just discovered that the Portable Type B microphone could be plugged into the side of each transmitter station - that's what the receptacle on the right side of the box is for.  The microphone does not have earphones and the plug screws onto the receptacle.  The plug looks like it has about 6 prongs on it, like you would see on an old-style radio microphone.  Is there any chance that the Batfish still has one of these laying around?  These are not the same as the sound-powered mics with the head phones.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 10:41:06 AM »
I made a mistake about the mic for the control room.  That microphone is the hand-held version and I think Bill from the Torsk sent me a separate PDF file for that part.  I'll have to dig it up and see if it lists a type or part number.  It may have been a newer post-war model and our box looks like it went through some mods, as well.  If we can get the parts, it's just a matter of reconnecting the wires.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 02:36:27 PM »
I just found out that we have the mic.  It was being repaired.   

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 02:50:47 PM »
Which one?  The Type "B" that plugs into the side of the box or the hard-wired one that hangs on the front of the box?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 03:07:32 PM »
I am not sure.  I Derrick Abel has it.  I am trying to get him onto the forum sites so he can be more involved.

I will check

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 11:25:11 PM »
I hope I am still on the right page. This site has grown so much since I have been able to get back to it, that I am lost. 
Anyway, wanted to let all know that we have reserved a table in the vendors areas for the Museum Boats to use as a display. It is pretty much up to you guys what you want to do, but one of the things I was thinking about is remembering taking my daughter to museums and how they have monitors with short movies on different subjects and I know we could get someone to bring a laptop and find a bigger monitor, then if people took videos of their boats like a virtual tour and also they might have some shots of what they are working on and what needs to be fixed. If we put them together in files, then when some one was interested in the Batfish or Cod or Cavalla, we could bring up that video and let them watch it. Of course we could also do a display on a board or other ways. It sure would be good to have several people from different boats there and we could even set up a schedule so that if someone wanted to talk to someone about the Silversides or the Pampanito, they would know when that person would be around.  Please email me with your thoughts or put them up here and I'll try and collect from all and see what we can work out.  Also let me know info on if they want to make a donation how to do it and to whom and the address and so on. 
I am really impressed at how much this site has grown and the participation in it.  One improvement coming up on the sub memorials page of USSVI.org is that in the near future, I will have all the boats and the other memorials located via lat. and long. Like Lance does here. The object of that and it was used quite a bit, when i had the same thing up on a frappr map. Is that of course most of our members are retired and they use the maps to see where to go when they are traveling, so we try to make it easy for them to find your boat and I want to go back and utilize the middle page of each section which is to list the support group and we can put in phone numbers, operating hours and so forth.  I am finishing up a rewrite of the USSVI Constitution and Bylaws and when that is done, I'll have more time to come over here and keep up with what you guys are doing. In the mean time keep up the good works and thanks to all of you for what you do.
Thanks,  oh yeah my email is  sub_ssn589@yahoo.com
Bill
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
Bill,

First of all, I keep wanting to call you "Wild Bill", because of the hat and Wyatt Earp mustache. :) 

Second, I thought each boat was going to have their own dispaly table, bu this works, too.  This allows the people from the different boats to enjoy the conference more, as oppsoed to being stuck behind their display all weekend.

Third, when would you need the videos by?  How long would they run?  5 minutes per boat? IMHO, Batfish should probably wait to film anything until early summer.  My reasoning is that if the exterior restoration hasn't kicked off by June, then that could be a focal point of our video and we could also get some interior shots of any areas that have nasty, peeling paint, gutted equipment, etc.  If we do have a new paint job by then (or we're in the process), we could mention our progress, but then we'd have to find a new focal point to raise money and awareness for. 

Again, just my 2 cents...

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 11:24:59 AM »
I am going to set up a new folder concerning the USSVI meeting in FT Worth.  There is a lot of information being exchanged here.  Check for USSVI MEETING FT WORTH fom my ideas.