Author Topic: Torpedoes to be loaded on Batfish  (Read 10239 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Torpedoes to be loaded on Batfish
« on: May 09, 2009, 12:48:18 PM »
http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/archivesearch/local_story_128002251.html

The Muskogee War Memorial received an MK 16 and an MK 27 torpedo for display at the USS Batfish Museum. Both torpedoes are on loan from the National Undersea Museum in Oregon. These torpedoes will be loaded Saturday between 9 a.m. and noon onto the USS Batfish Submarine as part of a permanent exhibit.  The MK 16 torpedo was used during World War II and after as the primary weapon for U.S. submarines. It weighs in at 3,000 pounds and is more than 18 feet long. It carried 600 pounds of TNT.  The MK 27 is a much smaller torpedo weighing in at just over 700 pounds and is 5 feet long. This torpedo had an acoustic homing device that guided it onto its target with deadly accuracy.  The loading of the torpedoes Saturday is a procedure that has not been performed on this boat for more than 35 years. Cook Construction will be providing crane services, and the US Army Reserve will be assisting in handling the torpedoes.  Information: 682-6294 or e-mail ussbatfish@sbcglobal.net.

Actually, the Mark 16 was not used in WW2. See: http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WTUS_WWII.htm

Batfish carried mostly Mark 14 and Mark 18 torpedoes, except for the 3rd patrol where Mark 23's were carried and possibly on the 7th patrol which they may have carried the MK-27's:

On 13 June, 1945 commenced training under Captain C.C. Burlingame, Commander Submarine Division 182, from whom we received several helpful suggestions. Fired eight Mark 14 torpedoes, low power, simulating Mark 18's. Fired six Mark 27's and two Mark 28's. Conducted lifeguard duty and convoy exercises.

Mark A.

PS. Rick - we need photos of this event please.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 01:16:50 PM by MWALLEN »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Torpedoes to be loaded on Batfish
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 02:08:41 PM »
I WISH that I could have been there for the loadout of these weapons, please post pics of the loadout for us TM's who weren't able to make it there to help you :tickedoff: and of course for the rest of the museum community/enthusiast's that love these boats so much.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 10:26:43 PM »
Awesome, just awesome!

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 06:11:36 PM »
I personally want to say thank you for all the help everyone provided Saturday to load the 2 new torpedoes into the sub.  This was a massive undertaking and went together very quickly.   The entire process could not have gone any better.   The shorter acoustic torpedo (at about 6 ft long) was loaded into the after torpedo room.  The longer Mk 16 torpedo (just measured at 22.5 ft long) went into the forward torpedo room.   Everything is now secured up and ready for the public to enjoy.   Here is my list of people that deserve a HUGE thank you for all of there efforts.   

Jon Cook of Cook Construction. -  Provided a crane and expert handling skills.

The Army Reserve (I am still getting the unit name) – a lot of strong backs and gear handling abilities

Batfish Crew  - Both torpedo men from the batfish (310 and 681).  Their knowledge and experience was a huge help.

Dennis Gilbert

Chris Saltano

BLHA Crew.-  Just came out to observe and take pictures,  They did not know that we were going to enlist them.    J

Tim Katzung

Kat Katzung *

Roger Hudgens

Kevin O’keef

The Batfish relieve crew -  More able bodies that did not know what the were getting themselves into…..

Bradley Baker

Nancy Ellis*

Tony Waber *

Rod Mish *

Mayor of Fort Gibson – found a good crane operator to help us out….

Stephen Hill

*  these individuals did not assist directly with loading the torpedoes.  They were instrumental in routing guests and community service workers during the day.  I must give full credit to the support staff as their effort are what enable activities like the torpedo loadings….

Rick Dennis

Park Manager

Muskogee War Memorial

PS  there were lots of cameras out there.   As soon as I get them all compiled i will post some photos.

PPS   I was int he torpedo rooms for the loading of both torpedoes.   You torpedo men are Freeking nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »
torpedo pics

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 05:09:38 PM »
More pics

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 05:13:37 PM »
And some more

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 06:37:27 PM »
BZ - Well down - even though you might been shy a few good torpedomen looks as if all went well! :smitten:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 10:25:33 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing those photos of the event.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 12:37:08 AM »
Well John, we missed ANOTHER load out of weapons, maybe the next time we will be able to go and load weapons on someone elses boat :coolsmiley:   

BZ to you all on the Batfish to make this happen and to the Army unit who showed up to make it possible   HOOOAH

Darrin
frmr TM3(SS)
SSG, USA