Author Topic: Remembering the WWII vets  (Read 5455 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Remembering the WWII vets
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:10:44 PM »
When the United States Submarine Veterans of World War Two hold their convention this year, they will decide whether or not to cease their existence on a national level.  If they do decide to cease, the USSVWWII will no longer exist after September 30, 2010.  State chapters will be allowed to continue to exist as long as they please however.

This is so sad to even think about.

:'(

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: Remembering the WWII vets
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 08:00:57 AM »
This is sad - but the reality of it is that they can't muster enough guys to make quorum at most meetings.  If any of you get the opportunity sit down with one of these guys and listen to their stories.  What we see in movies, read in books is not the war they know.  It is amazing what they went through and what really took place.

This is from a project at Rutgers University here in New Jersey.  The guy being interviewed is Cal Moon, WWII, USSVI, USSVWWI - life member, Holland Club member.

Cal is my buddy: http://oralhistory.rutgers.edu/Interviews/moon_calvin.html  start down at end of Tape 1

He's got so many stories from his patrols on the USS Razorback SS-394.  Just yesterday we were doing four Memorial Day Services after a parade - VFW could not muster a complete shooting squad so Doc  & me, plus two other sub vets were shooters.  After the last ceremony Doc had a few beers and was telling stories so fast I could not keep up.   
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
This is too emotional a subject for me both positive and negative.   The long and short of it is that we as american citizens do not recognize the military for what it is and its importance.   

I will stop there before getting into trouble.

Rick

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 02:16:37 PM »
Rick, I agree with you 100 percent on that subject, after seeing the turnout for the Batfish reunion, it reinforced that statement. There were quite a few people there, but they were mainly the families of the veterans.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."