Author Topic: 1MC/7MC Help & Parts Needed!  (Read 28829 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
1MC/7MC Help & Parts Needed!
« on: February 27, 2008, 12:35:27 PM »
Some of you have already seen this, but for those of you that haven't, this is the current condition of the Batfish's 1MC/7MC inter-communications stack...

http://www.352nd-mlha.com/Batfish%201MC/index.html

We need copies of the blue prints and manuals for the MI-2590 and MI-2845 signal generators and the MI-2877A voltage amplifiers.  Also, if anyone has spare parts for a 1MC MI-2181-F2 box, that would help us a lot, too.  You can see what is missing in this photo...

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: 1MC/7MC Help & Parts Needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 05:19:22 PM »
I have not forgotten about the diagrams for the 1MC.  I will send an email to Gil Bohanan who is the Torsk Historian. He has the key to the goodies.  Just a matter of how to get a copy to you if possible. 
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 05:48:54 PM »
Any which way you can. ;D  The best would be to mail the copies to the Batfish museum address.  They're the keeper of the prints.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:04:37 AM »
I have spoken with Gil.  He said our original is quite warn and was hard to read. At any rate, Gil believes Chief Bill has a copy of it that was created when the  1MC was being worked on.  We are not dead in the water yet.  Gil will not be on the boat this weekend so I can  not take a look-see. I'm still on the case hang tight!  The Batfish waited for you over 65 years, what is a few more weeks :D

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 04:13:33 PM »
Hey Mark, have a good time tomorrow working on the Batfish. I hope that we get good inspection ratings this time from the Navy, even though they really don't care.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 09:13:53 PM »
My grandmother died on Thursday and I'll actually be in PA for the funeral. :-[  My next attempt will be March 15.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:57:05 PM »
My grandmother died on Thursday and I'll actually be in PA for the funeral. :-[ 

Sorry to hear that, I know it's difficult.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that Mark. It is painful.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 01:43:52 PM »
Sorry to here about your family member passing.

On the lighter side, Chief Bill has your 1MC diagrams, not only that, he has them in Adobe form and I will email them to you for your printing!!!!! I hope to have them this week.

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 05:46:30 PM »
Some notes for you on the 1MC from Chief Bill and also known as Geezerchief:

?
Chris,

The1/7 MC pages I have on the computer are not the complete manual. I thought that I had completed the copy job, but I guess not. I suppose that I copied what I thought what we needed as  the time. Been almost 2 years since I copied the manual.

I am sending you the schematic, it will get them started. I will put the pages I have on a CD and give it to you next Saturday.

I will also pull the manual out of achives and copy what I think what they can use to get them started and I will put that on a CD also. Eventually I will be able to send them the complete manual on CD and they can print their copy from that.

Some thoughts:

They have a good ways to go until they will have a working 1/7 MC stack. It will be a long term job (think years not day and months) and the frustration level will be high.

First, they need to do a very good job of cleaning the equipment. 

Tell them to be careful about cleaning the tubes, I noticed on the forum that someone said "Yeah when I went in to polish the tubes in the summer, I would put one layer of polisher on and clean it up, and then another layer of dirt would pop up." If they clean too well, the tube numbers will be removed. Those old tubes ar fragile and need to be handled with care, particularly the 809's and 866's.

Then they need to look at the wiring and replace all frayed and brittle wiring. The tubes need to be tested and replaced as necessary. Some tubes (809's and 866's) cannot be tested as most new tube testers don't have the sockets necessary. When we got the system working, we tested all the non-testable tubes by replacing one tube at a time to see what spare tubes were good and which were not. Of course, if they have no spares then that doesn't apply.

We can talk about the above next weekend if you like and if you are going to be aboard.

Bill

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2008, 08:22:55 PM »
Some notes for you on the 1MC from Chief Bill and also known as Geezerchief:

?
Chris,

The1/7 MC pages I have on the computer are not the complete manual. I thought that I had completed the copy job, but I guess not. I suppose that I copied what I thought what we needed as  the time. Been almost 2 years since I copied the manual.

I am sending you the schematic, it will get them started. I will put the pages I have on a CD and give it to you next Saturday.

I will also pull the manual out of achives and copy what I think what they can use to get them started and I will put that on a CD also. Eventually I will be able to send them the complete manual on CD and they can print their copy from that.

Some thoughts:

They have a good ways to go until they will have a working 1/7 MC stack. It will be a long term job (think years not day and months) and the frustration level will be high.

First, they need to do a very good job of cleaning the equipment. 

Tell them to be careful about cleaning the tubes, I noticed on the forum that someone said "Yeah when I went in to polish the tubes in the summer, I would put one layer of polisher on and clean it up, and then another layer of dirt would pop up." If they clean too well, the tube numbers will be removed. Those old tubes ar fragile and need to be handled with care, particularly the 809's and 866's.

Then they need to look at the wiring and replace all frayed and brittle wiring. The tubes need to be tested and replaced as necessary. Some tubes (809's and 866's) cannot be tested as most new tube testers don't have the sockets necessary. When we got the system working, we tested all the non-testable tubes by replacing one tube at a time to see what spare tubes were good and which were not. Of course, if they have no spares then that doesn't apply.

We can talk about the above next weekend if you like and if you are going to be aboard.

Bill

Hey AVG, inform him that when I was talking about tubes, I meant torpedo tubes not the tubes in the 1mc stack. lol.

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 09:05:06 PM »
If you polish them enough you can take the imprinted name off also. LOL.  I emailed the diagrams to Mark.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 09:16:33 PM »
Oh, yea I know that, I only polished those parts once.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 10:31:54 PM »
We need copies of the blue prints and manuals for the MI-2590 and MI-2845 signal generators and the MI-2877A voltage amplifiers.  Also, if anyone has spare parts for a 1MC MI-2181-F2 box, that would help us a lot, too.  You can see what is missing in this photo...

Mark - you may try to get in touch with Rich Pekelney.  He works with the PAMPANITO in SF.  I met him when he came and visited the BATFISH.

My last email address for him is: pekelney@rspeng.com

I know he has a lot of info that may be helpful.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 02:15:16 PM »
Thanks, guys.  The schematic that Chris sent was fairly legible and has a handy parts list on the right side.  My main concern is getting access to the 23 capacitors in each amplifier to remove and replace them.  Once we have more specs from the Torsk, I'll start picking Rich's brain for details.  Bill from the Torsk sounds pretty knowledgeable, too.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor