Author Topic: Upcoming additions to this forum  (Read 55057 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Upcoming additions to this forum
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2008, 10:26:37 AM »
5/30/2008

Removed the link up top that went to the SaveOurSubmarines.com website.  I have moved the link to it instead to the bottom of the page by clicking on the Restoration Supporter patch.  I thought this was more fitting.  It looks better too.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2008, 09:53:23 PM »
6/1/2008

I have added the Russian K-77 (Juliett 484) and the USS Dolphin (AGSS-555) to the listing of submarine museums here.  That makes 26 museum boats.  They all have their own discussion board on the forum, their own black and white avatar for use on the forum (if anyone wants), their own pin on the MAPS page, and a listing/unique facts on the front page.

While the Juliett 484 isn't open to the public due to heavy storm damages, I feel that she'll reopen.  The Dolphin isn't officially a museum boat yet (I don't think) but I feel pretty sure she'll be one.

*whew*

26 submarine museum boats!

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2008, 05:26:30 PM »
6/7/2008

Just purchased a better hosting option from the same company.  Sometime soon I'll do a transfer and see how it goes. 

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2008, 08:11:12 PM »
7/30/2008

Added a new "VIDEO" button at the top.  Right now it is home to the YouTube video that used to be on the front page.  Soon it will be home to an all new, higher quality video.  If any of you want to help me by being my "beta testers" for the new video, send me a PM and I'll give you the link to try out.

I also added numerous new photos all over the website, including Torsk, Marlin, Albacore, and Bowfin.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2008, 10:28:49 PM »
9/7/2008

Tonight I upgraded the forum from v1.1.5 to v1.1.6.  This update was just released today.  It was supposed to fix some minor security vulnerabilities when SMF runs on Windows machines.  This host doesn't use Windows machines, but I did the upgrade anyway just to stay on top.

In my honest opinion, Simple Machines Forum is one of the most secure and most stable forum software programs out there.  Let me know if you see anything odd after doing this upgrade.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2008, 10:58:06 AM »
Somehow Tom Bowser's account got corrupted.  As far as I can tell no one else's account has any issues.

So I had to delete the username Drumvol and recreate it as Tom Bowser.

Let me know if any of you have login problems.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2008, 11:04:21 PM »
9/19/2008

If you haven't looked over all of the various pages to this website lately, take a look.  I've added many little photos of various subs all around.  Hopefully I'm not junking up the place.  I have an idea for just one more page to add to the site, and if I add that in there should be enough room to have a photo of every museum somewhere on the site.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #67 on: September 20, 2008, 11:53:53 AM »
SPELL CHECK is now active!

Whenever you make a new post, you'll have 3 options:  Post, Preview, and now Spell Check!   This will be great for you Internet Explorer users (as Firefox has an automatic spell checker) who want to spell check your posts before posting.  Completely optional, just another feature you can try out if you like.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2008, 03:51:28 PM »
10/1/08

I learned a little about Java today and customized the table on the front page.  Take a look at it and scroll over it with your mouse.  :)  I have reordered the submarines on the front page table by launch date.  This was done to give visitors a feel for age of the different subs.

Here on the forum, I rearranged the submarines by alphabetical order.  Hopefully this will make finding a sub easier for new members and old members alike.  Yes, I'm messing with you all!  I like this change though.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »
You will see randomly in the "NEWS BOX" in the upper right of the screen a box that shows the uptime and server load.

The "uptime" box is a free service that pings this website every 30 minutes and lets me know if the website is down.  The % shown is what percentage of time the website has been up since I subscribed to this service on June 27, 2008.  You can click on that "uptime" box to see the statistics.

The orange "SL" box is the actual server load.  The number on the left should be below 5.00 for optimal service.  The % number on the right should be below 100%.  As I type this, we are having issues with the server and the box states "8.98, 225%" which is VERY bad.  I have contacted the service department to find out what's up with the server!

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2009, 10:00:55 AM »
2/6/2009

Upgraded the forum this morning to address a security vulnerability.  Please let me know if you see any errors.

:knuppel2:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
7/10/2009

Spruced things up around the website and forum.  Maybe you guys can tell.  :)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2009, 11:57:55 PM »
7/15/2009

I installed an important security patch to the forum tonight.  So as usual, let me know if you guys encounter any odd issues resulting from this patch.