Author Topic: Dolphin opening schedule!  (Read 14102 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Dolphin opening schedule!
« on: June 25, 2009, 02:01:43 AM »
To all members of the San Diego Submarine Community from the Maritime Museum of San Diego:

This is to clarify events concerned with the "rollout" of USS DOLPHIN (AGSS-555), the Maritime Museum’s latest attraction.

On Thursday evening, July 2nd , the museum is sponsoring a members’ night, with guest speakers.

Invitations have been sent to a list of museum members and people who have been associated with the acquisition of the boat. RSVPs have been received for a few hundred people.

On Friday morning, July 3rd until noon, a media event is scheduled. The museum would like to follow this by hosting interested folks from the San Diego Submarine Community, active duty and retired. If you would like a "sneak preview" of the new display, stop down to the Maritime Museum from noon until 9 PM. Be prepared to verify your submarine qualification (Date and Boat) to the front line staff. Your dolphins are your ticket.

Then on Saturday, July 4th, the museum will celebrate the holiday by opening the boat as part of the museum attractions. This will be a busy day. If you want to avoid the crowds, plan on the Friday opportunity.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Dolphin opening schedule!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 06:28:17 PM »

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Sonar: The Eyes and Ears of the Boat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 02:45:58 PM »
Lance,

I'm going to be in San Diego at the end of the month for work-related training.  I'll be there for 4 days and will be just up the street from the Dolphin.  I'm definitely going to do a tour while I'm there if I can.  I'll let you know how it was. :)
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 04:37:03 PM »
Take some photos!

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 08:36:20 PM »
Take some photos!

I plan to take as many photos as I can.  I hope they don't have a rule about picture taking.  I have to find out how late they are open due to the training class I'll be in will run to about 4.  If It's a problem I'll get out early to get to the Dolphin.  I'll post the pictures as soon as I can.  I may need your help on that.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
The only museum sub that I know of that restricts photos of the interior is the U-505.

And sure I'll help you get any photos put up that you want.

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 10:05:44 PM »
The only museum sub that I know of that restricts photos of the interior is the U-505.

And sure I'll help you get any photos put up that you want.

That's great, Lance.  I found out that the boat is open until 8 PM, so I'll definitely be able to get on board and have a good tour.  I've already got my camera ready to go.  As soon as I'm back I'll send them to you.  If I can, I may get a chance to tour the Russian boat that is also tied up there.  It's going to be fun.  I haven't been on a boat in a long time.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:37:45 PM »
Hey Ears, aint nothing on Marlin classified - you will have fun and can take all the pix you want.  Maybe you should contact Bill Lee and see if he can meet you there and give you the grand tour.  He's been working on her for some time now.  I need to see the inside of that boat.  When down in Key West I never go the chance to go on board.  Marlin and Mackerel were together at the time still operating.

LOL watching them load fish - from all the way aft and then some how moving that torpedo through the boat (not far) to the forward torpedo room, which is all she has.  Hell I think a Mk 19 was longer than Marlin.

That boat was so small <sea story here> that the COB was only an E3. <end sea story>  8) That sea story thingy was for you Ears - cause we all know guys from that SO-nar shack aren't the quickest when it comes to sea stories.  ;)

Wish I was going with ya Bill we could have a time swapping old stories and tour that boat.  :'(  Have fun!
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »
Hey John, we're talking about the USS Dolphin in San Diego here, not the USS Marlin in Omaha.  :)

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 08:42:35 PM »
Hey John, we're talking about the USS Dolphin in San Diego here, not the USS Marlin in Omaha.  :)

You know how it is, Lance.  When you get a certain age..............................
Maybe selecting a larger font will help. :laugh:
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 08:59:36 AM »
Did they move it? :crazy2:
-----