Author Topic: Visitor-Proof Switch Panel Covers  (Read 5477 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Visitor-Proof Switch Panel Covers
« on: July 30, 2009, 02:37:04 PM »
Guys,

We've had poor success with heavy chicken-style wire covering the light switch panels on the boat.  We're thinking of something along the lines of a clear plastic or metal cover that can swing up and lock down, as needed.  What have you guys done to handle this issue?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Visitor-Proof Switch Panel Covers
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Ed Williams and I are looking at a possible solution,  However We are still open to ideas.  Good, Bad,  or other wise

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »
All the switch knobs except a few have been removed and we are about to remove them also. Don't really have the need to turn off a few lights. all light circuits go to a breaker panal and we can kill two compartments at a time. You could remove the knobs and have one in each compartment hidden or locked up and if you need to turn off a light just stick the knob in.
Tom

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:34:49 PM »
All of COD's light switches are functional.  A few numbnuts turn something on or off on occasion, but we reset them. I play with the lighting far more than any vistor. My chief goes nuts when he thinks a visitor is turning knobs. Instead, I tell him I'm redesgning the lighting.   :idiot2:

The panels have fuses that the navy inspectors want us to keep locked. Instead of drilling holes for padlocks, we put a line of RTV sealant along the door seam. Locks it good and tight against pulling forces. When we need to replace a fuse, a knife run under the door edge opens it up like new.

The issue is how the visitor treats the boat. Kids will play with something that they think of as "dead."  If they think of it as "live" and maybe dangerous, then maybe they'll behave...   :knuppel2:

But by removing the switches, the panel looks even more "dead" and the boat even more "visitor proofed" so the whole situation becomes a circular argument. Not sure what the answer is for you...

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:37:02 PM by Paul Farace »
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 02:39:06 PM »
A clear or metal cover would work and should keep most people honest.  We could put "Danger: Live Voltage" signs on each cover to keep any remaining foolhardy visitors from messing with them.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »
Signs don't do any good, niether do screws. The only answer is to keep all adults on a leash and handcuff the kids.
Tom

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 12:57:04 PM »
On the Torsk, we decided to leave the compartment lighting panels (switch panels) uncovered.  We didn't want to have the "Nautilus look".  We figured the worst the "visitors" could do was turn off the compartment lights.  They usually turn them back on once they realize what they have done.

We did purchase Plexiglas covers for the main AC switchboard and the IC switchboard in Control.  If someone turns one of the switches on those panels, or pulls one of the fuses out under load, they could do some serious harm to the boat or to themselves.  The Plexiglas covers were made at a local shop.  They have rounded corners so they look like original equipment.  I got the idea from the covers we had installed over the reactor intrumentation panels on my boat.  9Didn't want anyone accidentally turning one of those switches either.)

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of them at this moment.