Author Topic: Antenna behond SD radar mast  (Read 10263 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Antenna behond SD radar mast
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:21:44 AM »
Paul,

What is the long whip antenna with the weird reflector device in the middle supposed to be - mounted behind Cod's SD mast?  Must have been a 50's addition.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Antenna behond SD radar mast
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 07:25:03 PM »
You mean the VHF whip antenna with the hydrovane (currently missing from COD for modifications -- it was made too fast by a well-intentioned volunteer who didn't bother to ask what size it should be!!!  It needs to be about 30% smaller).  This was a late, late WWII modification -- possibly July 1945. The VHF provided much better radio (voice at that) with local and distant points. The hydrovan laid the whip down when the sub dove. The angle in the metal plate would meet the water at 90-deg for the first part of the dive, and as the antenna was folding back, the angled part would now be 90-deg to the water and further fold and lock it in a position that was horizontal to the deck. The first lookout topside when surfacing would yank a line and free the spring-loaded ratchet causing the antenna to spring back upright (without resorting to Viagara)... Batfish has this rig too!

Hope this helps.

Paul  :smiley6600:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:16:47 PM »
I believe the Drum got hers at Hunters point June-July 45. I don't know what happened to the Drums, it was there into the 70's. Would like some good detailed photos so I can remake ours.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:47:28 PM »
We have the springy base for the whip on our SD platform, but that's all that is left.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 03:33:59 PM »
I'll try to shoot some detailed pics when it stops raining.  Maybe this week.  Measurements are tough, since it's too high to reach on my tiptoes!

:2funny:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:51:22 PM »
LOL!

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor