Author Topic: School of the Boat 27 August 2009 The Log  (Read 10404 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
School of the Boat 27 August 2009 The Log
« on: August 27, 2009, 09:09:38 AM »
It is kind of a rainy day here in New Jersey and I had some slack time at work.  :crazy2:  Well not really but I made some.  It has been really quiet around here so what the heck I might as well try to revive the school of the boat with something simple  The Log.

The Log is up in the Forward Torpedo Room so I kind of had to full around with it at times.  Down then up, then down again only to have to raise it again.  That was the life of operating daily ops.

To start with I added one screen shot of the values used to secure, vent, and operate the log.  Each value had to be in the correct position for the Log to operate.  The diagram I added shows the Log in the Secured position, so that's a freebie.

Question 1:
List the position of the valves in the 1) Surface Venting position; 2) Operating position; 3) Operating on Static Head position.

Question 2:
Which switches must be turned on to power the Log?

Question 3:
The Speed pointer indicates approximately 6 1/2 knots regardless of changes of ship's speed. What are possible causes?  How do you correct the problem(s)?

Question 4:
The Log components operate correctly but excessive error of speed and distance indications at all speeds is noted.  What are the possible causes? How do you correct the problem(s)?

OK this should take about 10 minutes of your time. Hey Darrin come forward - new Gilly! Bring some bug juice and a cup of Joe!  I'm off watch for a while.

I forgot the bonus question.  Operating the Log in the Static Head position is a means to check the components to see if everything is operating as if you were moving.  So --- When operating in the Static Head position what will be the speed indicated?

Now have fun.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 09:14:47 AM by JTheotonio »
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: School of the Boat 27 August 2009 The Log
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 07:49:51 PM »
Welcome back John, yes I have some good bug juice to go with your gilly :coolsmiley: 

WOW the school of the boat goes to sea once more, damn I may have to look this answer up but I am sure that someone here on this bbs will answer it before I do because you guys tend to be very quick with the answers.

Good luck all

Darrin

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:21:45 PM »
Well I have been away from home on a much needed vacation for a week and see no one has attempted an answer to my questions.  Come on - someone must want to take a shot.  This is an easy one to look up.  Why the answer is located in its own manual...hint!  :crazy2:

Darrin - not much Gilly in Missouri - but I did find that they had some fresh potato mash (ok vodka), which while colorless, does not substitute for good Gilly.  But when in Missouri I guess you take what you can get.

I had a whole family of non-drinkers to boot.  So visits got to be long.  OK one cousin did have something, and allowed me to bring some beer.

But I am back - and no one got to my Gilly while I was gone! :smitten:
-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 09:20:20 PM »
John,
It seems that us TM's are the few that still come here and post :-\  Glad to hear that no one touched your Gilly while you were gone, damned shame that it was dry where you were.  Doing good here, looking forward to the Torsk Work Weekend, My girlfriend and I are going to be there and we may bring our kids with us. Maybe you and yours can come to the boat for the work weekend :coolsmiley:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 11:52:11 PM »
I thank you for taking the time to post this question.  I was hoping someone else would take a stab at the answer first.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »
Well I'm off on the road again - heading to California in the early morning - have a 0545 flight out  :buck2:

I have a feeling that the Gilly will get raided while i'm on the road this time.  I just don't have time to finish the new batch.!

-----

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 10:38:47 PM »
John,
I don't quite remember us getting our Gilly that way back in the day but I guess that in our current situation that you have done the right thing and made your own :coolsmiley:  I wish that I could do that here where I live without getting caught :police:  Got a good batch of Bug Juice here at the house, stop by with a little bit and we may have to toast a few and laugh about boats past and ports that we visited way back when.. Have a safe flight my friend, talk to you when you get back... I

Offline R.T. Moore

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 06:08:36 PM »
I had sort of forgotten this fine place until today when I got an email asking me to drop by. I'll try to do that more often

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: School of the Boat 27 August 2009 The Log - the answers
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:40:49 AM »
 >:( Well I see no one was interested in the Log or answering these questions.  It should have taken about 5-minutes of research using the manual.

So here are the answers: :'(  posted in the attached word document.

-----

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 09:55:27 AM »
Thanks for trying to light a fire under the masses asses.  :)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »
We can only try  :crazy2:
-----

John