Author Topic: Foxtrot in Seattle...  (Read 10634 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Foxtrot in Seattle...
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:44:16 AM »
A guy on SubSim visited a Foxtrot sub that used to be in Seattle.  Anyone know where it went to?  He posted some nice interior photos...

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?p=818246&posted=1#post818246

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Foxtrot in Seattle...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:03:10 PM »
I believe it's now in San Diego.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 03:45:17 PM »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:51:29 PM »
What are we doing with a Russian sub?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 05:16:22 PM »
Russians will sell anything for a quick buck.  I'm guessing that they needed the money.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 08:04:13 PM »
Yes Foxtrot B-39 was sent to San Diego and co-located with the Aircraft Carrier  Saratoga which is still US Navy waiting final approval as a Museum ship.  The 2nd Soviet sub B143 located in Rhode Island suffered a far worse fate and sank at her moorings during a storm in 2007.  I understand salvage is still underway  and the cause is still not known.  HNSA has photos, photos of salvage operations are at juliet484.org
K0EFV
Tom USMC

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 10:08:07 PM »
Error I think I meant the Aircraft Carrier MDIWAY CV-41.  At any rate i was just told that Midway will be conducting an Amateur Radio Event April 12, using the call sign NI6IW.  They will be operating from the Midway's main radio room.  What is most interesting is one of the operators will be Ken Laughn (AF6HA).  I discover that Ken is a Submarine Veteran just finishing his 25 years of service.  He enlisted in the Navy just out of high school. His bio is pretty long but he had served on USS Stonewall Jackson SSBN-634, USS Florida SSBN-728, Proteus AS-19, Sub Base at Kings Bay Ga. Carrier John Stennis CVN-74,  and even a stint at the Pentagon.  I will make a special point to be on the air that day and try my best to make contact with Ken, and thank him for his service to this country.  I just had to get this plug in HEHE
K0EFV  
Tom USMC

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 09:05:43 AM »
I'll be in K.C. that weekend far from any Ham equipment.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Jim M.

• USS Requin Author
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
    • USS Requin (SS-481/SSR-481)
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 01:49:05 PM »
Yes Foxtrot B-39 was sent to San Diego and co-located with the Aircraft Carrier  Saratoga which is still US Navy waiting final approval as a Museum ship.  The 2nd Soviet sub B143 located in Rhode Island suffered a far worse fate and sank at her moorings during a storm in 2007.  I understand salvage is still underway  and the cause is still not known.  HNSA has photos, photos of salvage operations are at juliet484.org
K0EFV

From what I recall, the USN will be conducting salvage ops on the Providence boat sometime later this year..

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 01:56:26 PM »
The only way for a sub to sink in a harbor would be that the ballast tanks vent valves were opened and allowed to fill with water.  Several fleet boats were lost in tow during and after WWII.  Rough seas and a deactivated hydraulic system would eventually cause/allow the valves to open.  That's my 2 cents on how it sank.

I'm glad to hear that they are going to salvage it.  I wouldn't want to be the poor slob that has to clean the muck out of everything, though. Providence harbor has a filthy, slimey mud that smells of everything foul mixed into one noxious concoction.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 02:26:52 PM »
What I understand about Juliet 484 from a visit to their Web site recently was that while the USN may try to raise it, they're not sure it ever will be able to be a museum again.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2008, 02:46:32 PM »
Hmmm... almost sounds like a wasted effort, if you can't go inside, anymore.  Maybe they should just sink it somewhere else and use it for practicing diving/salvage operations.  Or, maybe they want to raise it in order to practice a salvage operation.  I'm sure that they'll find some way to justify the money and effort.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Dave595

• USS Blueback Volunteer
  • Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 12:36:31 PM »
There is another Russian sub tied up next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.  The Scorpion" b-427 is open for tours to the public.  I am sure glad that I was not part of her crew.  They had nothing in the way of "creature comforts".  Give me a good old U.S. of A. boat, of any kind!!

http://www.russiansublongbeach.com/faqs.html

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 02:54:36 PM »
There is another Russian sub tied up next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.  The Scorpion" b-427 is open for tours to the public.  I am sure glad that I was not part of her crew.  They had nothing in the way of "creature comforts".  Give me a good old U.S. of A. boat, of any kind!!

http://www.russiansublongbeach.com/faqs.html

Thanks for mentioning this sub.  I've added it to the forum.