Author Topic: October 27, 2009 - School of the Boat - Let's make some Gilly  (Read 12100 times)

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
October 27, 2009 - School of the Boat - Let's make some Gilly
« on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »
 :'(  OK we can't be making any Gilly while at sea - too many people around.  But I do have a question for this school of the lesson.

While submerged would venting Negative or firing a torpedo have any effect on the operation of the Model S Distilling Unit?

-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: October 27, 2009 - School of the Boat - Question 2 on the Model S
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 01:48:11 PM »
I was just walking through the FER on my way aft to see Darrin when "Tools" reminded me of another simple question regarding the Model S Distilling Unit.
 Ya see "Tools" is getting qualified too.  And had trouble with this question.  It's simple and easy to find.

What are the eight main elements of the Model S Distilling Unit?  Some one post the answer to help "Tools" before his Chief banishes him to the bilges.  :crazy2:
-----

John

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: October 27, 2009 - School of the Boat - One more little test
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
Seems like I cannot get out of the FER - the Chief caught me talking to "Tools" and was laughing.  He said "Tools" was a slow learner.  :idiot2:

But the Chief gave me a handy little diagram he uses for testing non-quals on the Model S Distilling Units.  So I will upload this document for your use.

Here's what to do - if you want - This is the piping diagram for the distilling units with all of the names of the various parts removed.  The first sheet has each part numbered.  The second sheet is blank.  Find and fill in the part names for your own use.  I don't want these back.  Just remember when it comes time to get checked off in the FER, you may need this diagram.

Next week I will post the completed diagram with all the names.  If nothing else just find the diagram and look over the completed one so you will get to know a bit more about these distilling units.

Life aboard a Fleet-type diesel boat was tough and fresh water was not easy to come by.  We weren't called Pig Boat Sailors for nothing.  Fresh water was used sparingly for personal uses.  In a 12 week patrol you got pretty dirty unless we had Swim Call.  But a lot of guys felt it easier to be dirty than swim with sharks.

Again - don't post any answers - this is just for your use.  If you want to find the names - good!
-----

John

Offline navywrslr

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: October 27, 2009 - School of the Boat - Let's make some Gilly
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 05:01:54 PM »
On the 3 diesel boats I served on,I used to carry alot of work clothes,and when they stood up by themselves,throw them out. These boats were not for the faint of heart, but they sure were more fun then nukes.
STSCS(SS) Sid Busch USN(RET)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »
John,

The next time you try to come aft ask the Chief if he has seen "Hairy" lately, he showed up for a little while and then went back into the bilges and hasn't been herd of since.... HEY now that I think about it I am missing some Gilly from my bug juice machine that was stolen err.. I mean appropriated from the tender :knuppel2:

Now I am going to have to go and ahem "borrow" some more from another boat

Darrin

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »
 :2funny: Come to think of it I pulled up a deck plate and saw this big hairy rat - sure had the funnest grin I ever seen on a bilge rat.  Even over the smell of diesel and a wet hairy rat - I sure thought I smelled some Gilly down there.  :2funny:  I got some extra if you can't get any off those Tender guys.

Sid - I heard those Nuke guys even had a laundry so they would be all nice and clean all the time.  Even our cook's apron was so dirty it could stand watch alone.
-----

John

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 09:32:25 AM »
OK I guess this went long enough.  First I'll post the complete Model S Piping diagram with everything filled in for you.

Down below (#1 post) I asked a question about the affects to the Model S Distilling unit when firing a torpedo or vent Negative. So here you go...

First you can operate the Model S while under water.  However you need to have some consistencies in things such as line voltage and hull pressure.  Since my question was in regard to venting negative or firing a torpedo you can see that these two events can cause the internal hull pressure to rise.   Increase in the hull pressure will increase the pressure readings on the compressor gage and raise the boiling point of the sea water in the distilling unit.  But these events take place quickly meaning there would tend to be a rapid rise in pressure.  This makes it impossible (for most) to increase the heat (adding heaters) sufficiently to keep the Model S in operation.  The unit tends to take in air at the vent and then stops operating.

Hull pressure can also change by opening and closing air lock doors, snorkeling (man that hurts your ears too), or running an engine.  All make it hard for “Tools” to keep that old Model S running.  I don’t think there was a day on the Picuda that we made our daily capacity of fresh water.
-----

John