Poll

Should the dummies on the Batfish stay and continue to creep out visitors or go?

Stay.
1 (33.3%)
Go.
2 (66.7%)
No opinion.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: April 01, 2008, 05:25:37 PM

Author Topic: Boat Dummies - Stay or Go?  (Read 21819 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Boat Dummies - Stay or Go?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 11:20:32 AM »
Sound effects piped through the boat would add to the realism of a working boat,

Hey Rick - what has happened to the engine sounds?  I checked the player last weekend and the CD was gone.  Mark S. said they used it for one of their re-enactments (sp?)...would be nice to get that CD back and have the engine sounds playing again...IMHO.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2008, 11:37:45 AM »
Mark,

I was guessing that we used it in Dec., for the tour, but I'm not really sure what its fate was, since I spent a lot of time in the conning tower.

A separate stereo making loud engine noises in the engien room(s) would be good, too - usually they cruised on 2 engines.  You don't want that piped over the reproducers in every compartment.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2008, 12:22:29 PM »
Mark,   I was guessing that we used it in Dec., for the tour, but I'm not really sure what its fate was, since I spent a lot of time in the conning tower.  A separate stereo making loud engine noises in the engien room(s) would be good, too - usually they cruised on 2 engines.  You don't want that piped over the reproducers in every compartment.

I can recreate the CD if needed...was hoping Rick might have it...if not I can reproduce it and bring it on the 5th. 

Rick - do you have it?  the CD that is.

I agree...we have a separate system in the aft engine room that isn't piped thru the boat.  It was rather cool to walk into the engine room and hear that sound...even if it was 1/4 the actual sound level.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 01:11:21 PM »
Now, if we could just replicate the vibration in the deck plates... hmmmm...  We could hook up an electric motor under one of the plates with a slightly unbalanced wheel, but that would eventually wear out the motor bearings.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 02:52:38 PM »
I do not have the CD.  It disappeared about the time the reenactors left.  I will have a new one however.  I am getting a master copy made for the museum and a working copy for the boat so this will not happen again. 

Mark,
Look out for posts from Derrick Abel.  He works for the local radio station and has been doing a lot of work with the boat.  He has more information regarding the 1MC.  He was telling me that the amp in it is preaty well shot.  He also has several other ideas regarding getting more sound placed in the boat.  I think he has some good ideas to work with.

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 03:14:55 PM »
I do not have the CD.  It disappeared about the time the reenactors left.  I will have a new one however.  I am getting a master copy made for the museum and a working copy for the boat so this will not happen again.

I can burn another engine sound one for the boat.

Also...FYI...Rick, please put an "S" or "A" after Mark, since you have two Mark's at the sub and on this board.  Just trying to reduce confusion.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2008, 03:39:00 PM »
Roger on Derrick Abel.  I'll have to ask him how he determined that they were shot.  I'd also be interested to hear how he even got power to the thing, since there isn't any juice in the I.C. panel.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2008, 04:21:25 PM »
As far as noises, the Torsk is set up with a CD of the klaxon and a man saying "Dive Dive". The speaker is up in bridge somewhere and can be heard from the pier. In the galley Gil has made a DVD of footage from the Torsk (end of WW2 through the 60's). Patrons stop and watch. Since we are on the water, the sonar is active and can be heard when entering the control room. It is cool to hear the props in the water. Also, up in the conning tower a electric motor mounted on the ceiling and belt attached to the radar. It runs on 120v. Hit the switch and the radar spins up by the extended periscope. She looks alive and like a working submarine ready to go. Being she is on the water the running lights have to be on and in working order. So, from a distance you would really think the Torsk is seaworthy....but we know better ;)

As a side note, there is a air conditioning unit in the superstructure to cool the boat (somewhat) and when running you can feel/hear it through out the boat. She sounds like she is running. Add the panel lights that work here and there, the sonar sounds, klaxon going.....most patrons think she is ready to go.       
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2008, 04:24:09 PM »
Those are all good ideas.  We have to remount our radar motor.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 04:36:24 PM »
We are working on sounds for the boat.  The current idea includes the use hybriding new audio equipment into the system.  Of course everything will be very discretly hidden.  We do have AC units on ours as well.  They were just installed last year.   They do an excellent job at keeping th boat cool.   

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 04:44:25 PM »
If someone wants to design a modern PA/alarm system that we can connect to the 1MC mics and alarm contactors, I'm cool with that.  We could easily hide the connections behind the old 1MC stack since the wires all run back there, anyway.  I am not even close to being savvy in electronics design, though.  I can make a good attempt at fixing the older stuff before the integrated circuit days and that's about it.

The laptop idea that I came up with is a short-term solution for reenactments, because it's easily hideable in the tower.  I don't see that being practical for long-term.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »
Mark S,
This is why I am trying to get you and Derrick together.  Hopefully He will start watching this forum.

Everyone,
As promised I have a few pics of the Batfish Dummies.  The first pic is the one that initiall scares everyone.   The seccond is the one in the goats locker that just creaps me out  and the 3rd is the Gally fellow.   

Yes he has seen better days.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 05:47:44 PM »
As promised I have a few pics of the Batfish Dummies.

Galley-man needs to go...as does the modern day Coke can.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 05:49:20 PM »
Rick - speaking of the galley, what happened to the CD that was in the record player?  That use to play big band era music...but the CD is gone.