Author Topic: Is your memorial sub being robbed on the web?  (Read 11352 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Is your memorial sub being robbed on the web?
« on: December 09, 2009, 01:56:12 PM »
Shipmates:
This kind of thing really pisses me off!  We have had to overlook penny ante Ebay shysters ripping USS COD's logo for sale on crappy quality merchandise before, but the web site listed below is is a whole new level of ripping off a memorial to your fallen brothers!   
Our director has said it would be too costly to pursue any action. I fear that if we let the camel  put his nose under the tent, we might soon see a stampede of the entire herd over the tent. What really irks me is that they use the phrase "visit the USS COD Store" as if they were part of our non-profit operation, or to imply that they are offically representing us!

Please pass the word to your friends who may want to buy COD merchandise that this is a criminal operation that in no way supports our non-profit memorial to the men of the Silent Service who died in service to their country!  Maybe next these jackasses will be stealing the bronze grave markers from veteran cemeteries for scrap value!   

Paul Farace
USS COD curator

:knuppel2: :police:

http://www.cafepress.com/sk/usscod

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Is your memorial sub being robbed on the web?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »
I am afraid to open this can of worms, but what the hell it will not be the first time and doubt it will be the last...

Our only real solution is to copyright the boats names and logos.   I do not event know what the legalities would be as they are existing logos and potentially belong to the navy if anyone.  Som of you may already have your ilogos and names copyrighted.   

thoughts?

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 12:06:01 AM »
You probably can't trademark a ship name or even its WWII logo. They're in the public domain. But in this case, the logo this putz is using is exactly the skull and torpedo design I had a Cleveland artist render back in 1997!  If he had used some other form of a skull and torpedo, say from the COD's WWII battleflag, I would be mad, but I don't think there is much I might do, besides bitching that he is stealing money from us.   But this is a clear cut case of STEALING the work of OUR artist.  Mo Fo gonna die slowly and painfully if I get his ass in my sights!   :knuppel2:

Thoughts?   :o

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »
Look up chemicals that are untraceable in an autopsy. ;-)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline FER

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 03:57:46 PM »
You wrote:
"But in this case, the logo this putz is using is exactly the skull and torpedo design I had a Cleveland artist render back in 1997!"

In that case, you have a straight-forward copyright situation. Copyright is automatic under US law today. It belongs to the author of the work, or if paid for the work, it belongs to the backer. So you hold copyright in that logo, and you should send a cease-and-desist letter. This does not require a lawyer or any expense. Just write a letter saying that you hold copyright in that logo and that they must stop using it immediately or you will have to seek legal remedies (and you can include language saying that this would involve "substantial fines for the offender"). If they continue, you find a lawyer willing to chase them down for the sake of the fee he or she will earn (you would get nothing but satisfaction). It's quite possible that this store owner mistakenly assumes that this logo is out-of-copyright, that it is original period artwork, and if told that it is a recent creation they might be happy to pull it.

And you wrote:
"If he had used some other form of a skull and torpedo, say from the COD's WWII battleflag, I would be mad, but I don't think there is much I might do, besides bitching that he is stealing money from us."

He is NOT stealing from you, unless he specifically claims to represent your organization, and it doesn't appear to me that he does. Just saying that he represents "USS Cod's legacy" or some similar language is not illegal, and he is not stealing from you since you did not create USS Cod nor do you own it or any associated logos. Logos from its service legacy are not protected by copyright, and why shouldn't some entrepreneur offer items for sale that use the logos?? Are you opposed to capitalism?

Of course, I certainly understand that you feel annoyed by the "dilution" of your institutional message, but it isn't stealing. You should consider piggybacking your own fund-raising efforts on his advertising. You could offer similar items for sale, perhaps at slightly lower prices, and SPECIFICALLY stating that yours is the real organization. You may also want to consider inviting that entrepreneur to include language inviting people to visit the actual sub and support your restoration efforts financially. Co-opt him rather than fighting him...

And you wrote:
"Please pass the word to your friends who may want to buy COD merchandise that this is a criminal operation"

Nonsense. It is not a "criminal operation" EXCEPT to the extent that they are using a logo which you created independently and this merchant may not be aware at all that it is an independent bit of artwork. It's your job to inform him by including a copyright notice for that artwork wherever it appears, or by writing to him and asking him to remove it.

And you wrote:
"Maybe next these jackasses will be stealing the bronze grave markers from veteran cemeteries for scrap value! "

Borrowing that rather tasteless "metalhead" logo from your web site is a minor matter. Comparing this with grave-robbing is wild hyperbole and really hurts your cause.

And you wrote:
"But this is a clear cut case of STEALING the work of OUR artist.  Mo Fo gonna die slowly and painfully if I get his ass in my sights!"

And one more thing... Although you guys are just kidding around, when you suggest that are going to injure someone, you expose YOURSELF and also the owner of this web site to criminal action. The guy with the web site that annoys you so much could end up suing you... and winning. Really. No shit. It's a line you do not want to cross.

-FER

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 12:20:01 PM »
Who let the lawyer/studyhall monitor/priest into this BBS?    :tickedoff:   Just kidding...

Let's not forget that this guy had to buy stuff from OUR ship's store to copy the artwork. There are little ways we have of telling which of our MODERN logos he is using. If we're using it, its OUR MODERN non-expired (copywrite applicable) artwork.

Our metalhead logo was largely designed in 1945... complain to the COD crew of patrol 7.   

There is nothing to piggyback to... this guy is an opportunist plain and simple. Hell, we can't even reach him directly since he is "protected" by the anonimity of the CafePress site.

And I don't think anyone is going to break his knees... don't squelch our ability to have fun on this site with colorful language... this is more clubhouse than courtroom... and I hope it stays that way!

And I totally disagree... if you read the site, he says THE COD STORE... how else are you going to interpret that than an "official" COD site?  I've had several legal folks look at it as well as many other profressionals, all totally agree this guy is pulling a fast one on the public.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 10:44:56 PM »
Aweee come on folks,

this is not a high school debate about whom is right or wrong in the world, IMHO Paul is right about being upset because he believes that the COD is having money taken from then and he is RIGHT!!  on Epray right now have a model of the USS TORSK (SS-423) that is being SOLD from the P.I.        you all know that little island in the South Pacific :coolsmiley:

As far as I know there is NO money coming into TVA for that or for the 8x10 glossy pictures that are currently for sale, nor is any boat going to see the Bausch and Laumb TBT stand Bino's that are up for bid right now for 2K+  and it would have been nice for one of our boats to get this but I don't think that it will happen..

But for the folks like FER it is a moot point because they only really care about complaining about how little our boats are maintained and how they are interprited and for those of us whom work on the museum boats it is a sad day to see artifacts like the bino's go to someone whom cannot truly use them or display them, or see the money from the sale of the pics of the boat that we work on and the volunteer association doesn't see a dime of the money so that we could restore or "better" interperit the museum boats that we have.

Again it is a moot point to be complaining about this, the crews that maintain our submarines are not recieving some if not all of the money from these sales and it stinks out loud because they need the money to preserve these boats.

Darrin

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 01:06:31 PM »
Darrin:

Don't feel too bad about the B&L Mark 91 binoculars - they are ALMOST identical to the TBT optics, but they have mounts on the top--meaning they are gunsight optics for the 5-inch deck guns. The TBT optics (at least on COD) have bottom mounts. This guy has been selling these damn things for years and thinks they are worth their weight in gold. NOT!   We just bought a similar gunsight for COD for far less!   Does TORSK have the pedestal mount for the TBT optics? If so I'd like to see a picture. I know of someone with a TBT optic who may be willing to let it go (or I'll someday shoot the bastard!   :knuppel2:  )...

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 04:15:06 PM »
I knew it,,,,

Can = opened
Worms = everywhere....

I have got to stop doing that.....

Offline FER

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:33:52 PM »
Darrin, you wrote:
"this is not a high school debate about whom is right or wrong in the world"

No, it is not.

But there are real issues here with real answers. It is also not just some "can of worms". The question of intellectual property rights is a major one at museums worldwide. Submarine museum managements tend to be amateurs on this score. Are photos of submarines and logos from submarines operated by museums and other institutions copyrighted material? Well that all depends. Are the images in the public domain? Generally if they were produced under US government contract or by individuals working for the US government at the time then they are in the public domain worldwide. That's US law. Note that this is not the law in other countries. For example, government documents and imagery are not public domain in the UK, and if you attempt to publish images or data from UK government sources (e.g. the Nautical Almanac), then you can be, and probably will be, sued by the intellectual property rights powers-that-be from the UK. What about images taken by private photographers visiting one of your subs? This depends on posted signage. If you post something that says photographs are for personal use and "may not be published without the express written consent of major league baseball" (or similar) then you can always go after someone who abuses images, and you will probably win legal damages.

The case of the logo commissioned by Paul in 1997 (according to him) should be a clear-cut case where the institution and the original artist do have copyright in the image. It is not legal for that online merchant to use it. It is also likely in this case that this merchant does not realize that this "skull with a torpedo through it" (very classy!) is a modern creation not connected with the original service of USS Cod. And as I noted previously, the solution is simple. Issue a cease-and-desist letter explaining the origin of the image and its copyright status.

And you continued:
"IMHO Paul is right about being upset because he believes that the COD is having money taken from then and he is RIGHT!!"

In the specific case of that commissioned logo created in 1997, yes. But otherwise it is quite absurd to suggest that people selling items connected with the legacy of museum submarines are "stealing" from the institutions operating and maintaining those museum submarines. These items (photos, logos, etc.) are in the public domain, and it is 100% legal for anyone to attempt to make a profit off of them.  This is called capitalism, entrepreunership, and enterprise. Remember when those things were highly valued in America?

And by the way, you're worrying about chump change. There's a high likelihood that these are minor home businesses with negligible profit. As I noted previously, museum operations might do better to work with these folks. Get them to link to your web site for more information about the subs. Get them to state the specific terms under which the items are offered, clearly indicating that they do not represent your museum. Turn them into resellers for products that you've already produced. The great majority of submarine memorials and museums with submarines have a very low public profile, damn near invisible in fact, and most people are quite unaware that these submarines even exist in museums until they stumble upon them by accident. As for USS Torsk, I have met three people in the past six months who've been to Baltimore more than once who had no idea that there was a museum sub there. You folks need publicity any way you can get it.

And you wrote:
"on Epray right now have a model of the USS TORSK (SS-423) that is being SOLD from the P.I.   you all know that little island in the South Pacific"

So what? Why in the world would this bother you?? Did you ever build model ships when you were a kid (or now even)? Did you ever have a model of a non-US ship? Was that a crime?? Of course not. There's absolutely nothing wrong with some merchant from the PI selling a model of Torsk. You should welcome the publicity. And perhaps someone in official standing in the Torsk organization could draft an email to him inviting him to link to the official web site of your organization in future listings, if any.

And you wrote:
"As far as I know there is NO money coming into TVA for that or for the 8x10 glossy pictures that are currently for sale"

Yep. It's called capitalism. You do not own Torsk. You do not own the history of Torsk. You do not own the public domain images of Torsk. If someone else can manage to run a tiny business selling such images, more power to them. You make the mistake of thinking of this economy as a "zero-sum game". In other words, if someone else is making money, then surely you are losing money. This is not at all true.

And you wrote:
"nor is any boat going to see the Bausch and Laumb TBT stand Bino's that are up for bid right now for 2K+  and it would have been nice for one of our boats to get this but I don't think that it will happen..."

Museums have confronted this issue since museums first existed: how do we acquire artifacts in private collections without paying exorbitant prices for them? One solution is to emply anonymous middlemen. That can work. National museums in some countries sometimes can declare such objects as public property and simply confiscate them by legal fiat. There are even cases of this under special circumstances in the US. If you think it's the way to go, you should write your congressmen and suggest that they pass a law making it illegal to buy or sell USN and other US military artifacts more that 25 years old, let's say, except when the buyer and sellers are certified museums. Then such items will become available to museums in large numbers and at good prices. Until then, it IS legal to buy and sell and own USN artifacts from the Second World War (and earlier). No doubt you own a few such items yourself.

And you grumbled:
"But for the folks like FER it is a moot point because they only really care about complaining about how little our boats are maintained and how they are interprited "

If you really care about preserving the legacy of historic submarines and the submariners who worked aboard them, you would not be satisfied with mediocrity. If the public at large is unimpressed with your work, funding will dry up and subs will be scrapped. Institutionalized failure, mediocrity lauded as success. Those things are your enemies -- not the people who actually visit museum submarines... and notice their strengths and weaknesses.

And you concluded:
"Again it is a moot point to be complaining about this, the crews that maintain our submarines are not recieving some if not all of the money from these sales and it stinks out loud because they need the money to preserve these boats."

I do understand some small degree of annoyance here, but you need to keep this all in perspective. Selling crap is NOT going to make the difference between preserving a sub and losing one. About half of the sub museums I've visited seem to have a "gift shop" selling mugs and t-shirts and keychains and other "crap" and I sometimes buy some of this crap if I'm in the mood. But this is minor money. You're not going to sink or swim on the basis of such trivial sales.

Again, those small-time online merchants selling photos are NOT criminals. They're not taking money from you. It's not a zero-sum game.

-FER

Offline FER

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:00:48 PM »
"USS Batfish" you wrote:
"I am afraid to open this can of worms, but what the hell it will not be the first time and doubt it will be the last...
Our only real solution is to copyright the boats names and logos.   I do not event know what the legalities would be as they are existing logos and potentially belong to the navy if anyone.  Some of you may already have your logos and names copyrighted.   "

No, there's no can of worms here. This is a straight-forward question with KNOWN answers. It can't be done. You cannot copyright or trademark or otherwise protect the name or logo of the vessels if they acquired those names and logos during US military service. They are in the public domain.

You can, however, legally restrict the use of photographs taken on your museum grounds. This is probably a good idea. Consult with an established maritime museum and find out what they do (see PS). Post some signage saying "photographs are for private use. no publication without permission and payment of royalties." or something along those lines. You can also prohibit photography, but that's almost certainly a bad idea. You can ALSO trademark the name of your institution and its logo, but the expense may not justify it. Copyright is generally the best solution. While copyright is automatic under current US law, it never does any harm to stick an explicit copyright notice on any and all publications, e.g. "(c) copyright 2010, Your Submarine Museum, Your Town, USA". Explicit copyright notices are very hard to ignore.

After I visited Muskogee recently and saw USS Batfish, I drove through Tahlequah and was reminded of some of the legal battles the Cherokee Nation (the official entity) fights on a regular basis. They, too, have to deal with the fact that even the name of their ethnic group is in the public domain hence a car called a "Cherokee" is quite legal even though they don't get one thin dime for the use of the name. That's the law of the land. They can, however, suppress and challenge anyone who uses the full name "Cherokee Nation" or who claims to represent such commercially. And they do go after online merchants claiming affiliation when they are not connected in any way.

-FER
PS: Some submarine museums tend to operate in a fringe world since all of the submarines that have been preserved are not even 75 years old. But make no mistake, there are maritime museums that have been through all of this before and in great detail, and they've been doing it for decades. You don't have to reinvent the wheel down there in Muskogee. Call up Mystic Seaport in Connecticut, for example, or the Mariners Museum in Virginia (they know submariners if not submarines) and explain who you are and ask if you can email someone regarding intellectual property rights issues and maritime museums. The folks at "Mystic Seaport" long ago failed to trademark the name of their museum, and the results were nearly disastrous. And of course, there's the Wisconsin Maritime Museum which, from my experience, is the most fully integrated museum+submarine operation in the US. They formerly prohibited photography aboard their sub, but now they allow it. Undoubtedly they've thought through the intellectual property rights issues, one way or another.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 11:36:22 AM »
Paul,
over the years Torsk's has changed as has the boat and crew, I do have pics of the TBT stand in good condition and I have pics of it at a former crewmember's house where it is being stored and restored slowly because after the boat was decommed no one thought of preserving anything onboard which I am sure that you have delt with on COD :police:

FER, it is great when the museum that holds the tite to the submarine CARES about their submarine or surface craft that they were able to recieve from the Navy because it shows very quickly when a museum CARES about their prized possesion and not letting it rot and just taking the money from the tours and lining their pockets or maintaining their prized (in their minds) ship. There are many cases around the country where the museum has not cared about their ships and it has fallen onto the volunteers to save the ships and restore them piece by piece with their own money and blood/sweat and tears.  And yes sadly I do know that the Torsk does not have ANY advertisement showing that she is even in Baltimore and that is because of the people whom own the title to the boat, if it was up to the volunteers there would be signs everywhere letting the whole world know where she was and how to get to her.

With the Torsk our museum has a small gift shop on the Chesapeak and the vol's see no money from it nor do we see any money from the ticket sales, however our museum has allowed us to become a non-profit association and allowed us to sell Torsk Volunteer stuff when we are onboard and we do see a small profit with that and what little people donate to us goes to the small things like paint, light bulbs and misc equipment (like our Radio Room) which nearly everything works again as it was built and is period correct for the boat and EVERYTHING that wasn't onboard (which wasn't much that was period correct or working) or gotten from a strip ship was bought by the VOLUNTEERS with donated money.

If you would have seen the Torsk 10 years ago you would not believe how MUCH work has been done restoring her, even in the last 5 years the difference is HUGE and it is because of the VOLUNTEERS and not the museum and it's staff.

The COD is very lucky because Paul Farace and his boss care so much about the COD and they don't have any other ships in their "fleet" to maintain so they can dedicate all of their resources to their boat, the Pamp and the Bowfin also have the same situation and with a benifit (THE NAVY) helps them with maintaining them.

Now to see crews that have truly gone above and beyond the call of duty, you can look at the Tom and Leslie from the DRUM whom have done the IMPOSSIBLE with NOTHING, they have taken their submarine who's title owner let it rot out and they did something that would have cost MILLIONS in a shipyard (which it will never see again) they RECONSTRUCTED the completly wasted away bow and the stern with nothing but pictures and a few drawings. And they did it with their own hands using donated materials and equipment, the job looks so good you would believe that the shipyard did it.

Paul,
here are a few pics for you

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 07:20:42 PM »
Darrin
Thank you for the heart warming words, it means a lot to us to hear that from a fellow volunteer and I am sure you don't get enough pats on the back either. At this time of the year I am always wondering if we will get enough money to do what we want, it usually shows up and I really concentrate on giving tours during the cold days to try to get the visitors to donate. Dispite all the pain and frustration, I wouldn't want to do anything else. I will pass this on to Lesley. And thank you for all you are doing.
Tom

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2010, 10:12:12 PM »
Save room on Tom and Leslie's backs for my "pat."

On the subject of intellectual rights, I think FER gave a damn good recount of the situation.  Yes, any photos of the boats, even ones taken today, and the ship's names and hull numbers, CAN NOT BE TRADE MARKED... they are public domain and should be.

My bitch was with the use of a modern logo done by us at our expense that was "lifted" by some mom-pop operation (likely)... the situation is in our lawyer's hands (and nobody is gonna break their necks getting that cease and desist letter in the mail)...

No let's go out and kick some other butts... and open more worm cans!!!     :crazy2:

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »
"And of course, there's the Wisconsin Maritime Museum which, from my experience, is the most fully integrated museum+submarine operation in the US. They formerly prohibited photography aboard their sub, but now they allow it. Undoubtedly they've thought through the intellectual property rights issues, one way or another."

I don't want to get too involved in this discussion, but thanks for the compliment! We do allow pictures on the boat, but not video. We have guided tours and our Tour Guide Script is our copyright, so we don't want it to end up on youtube.

I do, however, like the discussion about volunteers...COBIA wouldn't be where she is today without the help and dedication of volunteers over the years. Our biggest help was from the local Navy Reserve but they were no longer available to us after 9/11. Today we still have a handfull of dedicated guys who still work on the boat and I am very grateful for that.

And seeing all the work that's been done on your boats out there has really inspired me these past few months, especially Tom! My (short) visit to the DRUM was amazing! I've been spending a lot of time on the boat the last few months learning and identifying work that needs to be done and its been a real eye opening experience. It's sad that the COBIA hasn't had the attention it used to have, so I've got a lot of work ahead of me! Soon I hope to put some pictures up to share the work I've been doing the last few months.

So to all the volunteers and dedicated staffer, thanks for the inspiration!
Karen