Author Topic: Toasters...  (Read 8662 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Toasters...
« on: January 07, 2010, 02:00:37 PM »
I hapen to come a long a couple of 1940's era toasters that are reputed to be used aboard ships in WWII.   The question is, what kind of tosters did the subs use?   Were there ones in the galley?  in the Officers pantry?  What say ye Martha Stewart?

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Toasters...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:57:34 AM »
Sorry, Martha Stewart was in the insane asylum for the holidays (she is nuts, saw her with Snoop Dogg on her show as if he were some Soap Star, proof to me she is nuts!)...

The toasters were TOASTMASTER four slicers and built like tanks. Check out the 1993 Navy Afloat Shopping Guide... haven't changed in 60 years. Some shipboard models had the special plug/socket connections, not the spade types we use at home. 

Here are shots of COD's toasters -- picked up in the 1990s from mothball ships in Suisun Bay.

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
I don't have a photo of ours yet but accoding to the invoices we found they were toastmasters and at least one for the wardroom was a two slice.
Tom

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:23:34 AM »
COD's are Toastmasters as well... you can easily see the logo in the full rez shots, but probably not apparent in the low rez versions here. I have a two slicer somewhere, but figured everyone would want a four-slicer if it was available...  who wants to wait for TOAST?   :tickedoff:

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 04:26:30 PM »
so what I am seeing is that these are not the same, but will work to fill out the equipment until something better come along.  Buko Grassy ass guys...

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
Buko Grassy ass guys

I see Rick's been hitting the bottle again.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:13:02 AM »
Yup, that is how we did it on COD... get stuff that is almost right to hold space until the right stuff shows up. Strange enough, when you got something almost right, the correct thingy showed up VERY QUICKLY... as if somebody upthere said, "OK, that's what you're looking for... so here it is!"  Good luck on the toasters. They can be found all over the mothball ships, my guess...   :coolsmiley:

Let's get the jelly ready for our TOAST!  :2funny:

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 10:14:52 AM »
Looking for a mixer and coffee urns,  Any suggestions for fillers?

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 02:16:39 PM »
Batfish has a Hobart A-120 mixer... The 120 means it is a 12-quart capapcity. They are built like tanks and last for 70 years on average, which means they can be found used in used restaurant shops. Look for one that is burned out, unless you're making a cake!  Don't be fooled by the most popular model, the A-200 (yup, 20-quart).  These were used aboard more modern subs (nukes of much later vintage).  The A-120 can be found in many small restaurants and bakeries. In the bakery, they're gonna be used for mixing frostings and such, since they use A-400 or A-600 models for dough. Look for bolt holes in your galley shelf, also look for the wire basket whip and dough hook. All of these are available used!

The USN used two models of coffee makers, ours is a Joseph Colonna (Sp?)... Rick Pekelney is the expert on coffee makers. Also you will need either of two models of deep fryers (one is a Wells co. model)...

Don't under estimate the importance of a restored galley!  People are most impressed with stuff they can relate to... like the galley.  It really is a big, big step in making the boat look alive and authentic!
  :smitten:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 07:59:10 PM »
WWII Vintage Toasters Available for Donation.

I have received an email from Terry Miller, Executive Director of TCS, who received an email from a friend stating that he knew someone who has a collection of WWII vintage toasters, both two slice and four slice, of the kind that would have been used in the Wardroom or Chief’s Mess.  This man wants to downsize his collection.  If interested in one or more of these toasters, please contact Terry Miller at dd836@ymail.com. All shipping and handling charges will be the responsibility of the recipient.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Thank you for all your help.  This gives me something to work towards.