Author Topic: Flank speed  (Read 6415 times)

Offline DaveyJ576

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Flank speed
« on: February 09, 2010, 07:34:26 PM »
Okay, I am having a major brain fart.

What was the engine/battery combination that was necessary to get a flank bell? Obviously you needed four engines on line, but I can't remember what else was needed to get to a flank bell. The battery had to be lined up differently, but was it series or parallel? Getting old sucks. Memory is the first thing to go!

Thanks

Dave

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Flank speed
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »
I have no idea.  I would lean towards the batteries being lined up in parallel for flank.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 10:15:11 AM »
I am dusting some old electronic theroy our now...

as I recall If you have 2 power sourced in series you increase you voltage, if they are in paralell you increase your current.   This would tell me that you would want them in parallel to increase the overa ll work force (current). 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 05:39:28 PM »
I agree with Rick.  The motors will always run on the same input voltage regardless of speed.  So, a faster screw means more current being applied.  Thus, a parallel hook-up.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 11:13:30 AM »
Are you preparing to get underway? If so, can I go along?   :smitten:

-- I'll bring a paddle for that extra half-knot of speed...
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:34:06 AM »
Running parallel to increase current - gives more torquing power, more turns, if you do this you will decrease the ampere-hour rating of the battery, meaning it aint going to last too long.

from the manual:
Various combinations of armatures in series or in parallel, including the coupling of all four motors in series for dead slow operation, may be obtained, for either surface or submerged operation, through the main control cubicle.

For surface operation, motor speed control is accomplished by controlling the generator speed and shunt field, thus varying the voltage supplied. When submerged, speed is controlled by varying the motor shunt field or by connecting the motors in different combinations of series and parallel. Reverse operation is accomplished by reversing the direction of the flow of current in the motor armature circuit.

For surface operation, using the various combinations of armatures and taking power from the main generators, the motors develop from 20 hp to 2700 hp per propeller shaft at speeds ranging from approximately 67 rpm to 282 rpm.
For submerged operation, using various combinations of armatures and taking power from the batteries, the motors develop power ranging from 30 hp to 1719 hp per propeller shaft and give a speed range from 38 rpm to 219 rpm.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John