Author Topic: Visting the Razorback  (Read 27709 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Visting the Razorback
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 12:57:27 AM »
Seems that Greg from the Razorback has joined our group.

Welcome Greg...please introduce yourself to the group.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 01:16:06 AM »
Another person you might talk to about the Razorback is Greg Zonner. Greg is the director of the Museum, is a former BC for the USSVI Razorback Base and is the webmaster for the Base. He certainly knows probably the most about the Razorback, not only the ship itself, but what it takes to keep it and the Museum going. He can be reached via the museum or his email address is zonner632@horizonbroadband.net  It probably helps when writing to explain about this forum and what gets done. In other words, if he understands that others on this forum can help find parts, and lend experience with things that come up, it might make more likely that one of them will take the time to check in and learn  all the benefits of participating here. I also wonder if another way to reach some of these reluctant guys is to find out who among those who already post here are friends with those you are trying to reach. The old it's who you know adage still works in a lot of cases.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 01:34:00 AM »
Email to Mr. Zonner sent.  I think I'd emailed him already, but I'm not sure.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 11:03:52 AM »
The missing engine was removed during the Guppy refit probably to make room for the pump room auxillary equipment that was moved from the pump room to make space available for SONAR rooms, etc.  The ladders to the CT from the CR were turned athwartships (God I love that term, so darn nautical!!!) to make more room for the crew in the CR (to allow the diving officer to dive for the numbskull on the bowplanes who had his planes at full crash dive instead of the gentle 8 degrees?)...  Guppy boats often lost engines to make room for stuff being relocated. The magazines were also reconfigured for new missions once the deck guns where removed... that is a relatively big space once you no longer have to carry 5-in. shells!   I have to visit BATFISH and RAZORBACK... the only fleetboats on display I have yet to see...   :coolsmiley:

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2010, 12:00:48 PM »
I am going to see the USS Batfish and the Uss Razorback practically the same day anyway when is the USS HOGA gonna come in its the new ship added to the Uss razorback musem
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline raywewers

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 05:24:01 PM »
Just got onto this site and thought I would respond to some of the comments.  I am a Redfish crewmember but since I live in Arkansas I spent a lot of time on Razorback once we got her back home.  The number 2 engine was removed in  1952 during her major overhaul and Guppy conversion.  The #2 engine area was filled with equipment that was housed in the LL Control Room and the new Prairie Master.  The LL Engine Room was converted to the Sonar Room, ECM room and part of the area is still the Machine shop with a lathe and some air handling equipment.
I believe the Turks took the Razorback out to sea sometime in 2001.  We don't know how they could have dove her and brought her back in but they did.  We had to replace over 80% of the lighting.  The motor controller for the main supply fan was burned up, most of the heaters in the ductwork are burned up, the airconditioners would not hold any freon, the motor controllers for the air compressors are in real bad shape.  Next April, a group of Razorback crewmembers will be back to work on the #4 engine and attempt to start it.
Razorback is now air-conditioned with 4 geo-thermal units using the Arkansas River as a heat sink.  The air handling is done through the original duct work so you can't see where the units are tied in.
Razorback tour times are 1000-dusk Wednesday through Saturday and 1300-dusk on Sundays during the period between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  During the winter from Labor Day to Memorial it is only open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  However, any submarine veteran is welcome to come down anytime there is someone there to open the museum, which is almost always Sunday through Saturday.  Also Submarine Veterans are admitted free.
Hope this answers some of the questions.
Ray Wewers---Razorback Volunteer

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 11:35:52 AM »
Hi, Ray.  Thank you for posting this information. We always like to hear what other boats are dealing with.  I think one of my resolutions for this year is to come out and visit your boat.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline raywewers

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
Mark,

Great. come on out and visit.  I think you will enjoy the boat and the price of admissions is right----free.  If you can, come in March through May or October and November.  This way you will miss most of our high humidity.