Author Topic: Fate of the Clamagore  (Read 10423 times)

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
Fate of the Clamagore
« on: June 23, 2010, 02:03:43 PM »
Got this this morning from Gumba via Bill Parker.  A really sad ending.  I am very fortunate to work for a park that can spend what is needed to prevent this from happening with their ships. Having them out of the water of course saves a lot of upkeep. Maybe someone will figure a way to save it, but doesn't look good.  :'(
Viejo

///SOB
=======

It is with great sadness that I have to report that the USS CLAMAGORE SS 343 , the last FRAM 3 GUPPY,will be removed from Patriot Point and sold for scrap metal.

The Point has not recieved any of the federal funds they were promised,and so to cut costs,the Destroyer USS LAFFEY,which recently underwent 9.2 million dollars in repairs will be sold to another city, and the Clamagore,which requires 3 million dollars in repairs will be sold for junk.
I will keep you informed,and I still hope for a last minute reprieve.

STSCS(SS) Sid Busch,USN(RET)
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Fate of the Clamagore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 12:16:13 AM »
Not good.  Not good at all.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
If they do scrap her, she will provide parts for COD...   :-\
But it's not time to give up the ship, not yet at least...

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »
If scrapped she must be, someone should make sure that every single shaving of metal flake goes to a museum submarine that needs it.  Just my 2cents.  No eBaying or personal collections!

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 11:47:04 PM »
It sounds like a very sad deal hopefully someone can save it at the last minute
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 05:08:09 PM »
Well Paul, she has her Gimmies onboard still and as you always love to tell people that when you need stuff it literally just show's up. Here may be your LAST chance to get everything you can for your engine rooms if she does wind up being sold for scrap

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 06:00:58 PM »
I hate sounding like a circling vulture but there are a lot of gimmies on board for Cod and especially for Torsk, Requin and Becuna. Let's hope things don't come to that but if it does, the Clam will live on in other museum boats.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 01:26:40 PM »
Fred, I ment to spell it Jimmies and not Gimmies, the Clam has GM Engines on board and not Fairbanks and Morse ones.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 04:55:30 PM »
I sure hope the goverment does something about this and help save the musem the uss clamagore looks like a nice submarine
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 12:02:27 AM »
Read today over on Rontini's BBS that the Clamagore won't be scrapped.

The situation is still very serious, as it has been for many years now for the Clamagore.  Something will have to be done to save her, ultimately.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »
Thats very good news she wont be scrapped.  :) sounds like someones gonna have to help her out though   :-\

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Sonar: The Eyes and Ears of the Boat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 07:23:42 PM »
I had wondered what happened to the boats I served on and did a web search for them.  I knew that the Blueback is a museum boat in Portland, WA, but I wasn't sure about the other diesel boat I was on, the Greenfish.  She was already an old boat when I was on it in the 60s, but fully functional.  I finally found out that the Greenfish was sold to Brazil and used as a training boat for a short while.  It was then used as a museum boat but that didn't last long and it was finally sold as scrap.  I couldn't believe what I saw on the website.  The pressure hull and superstructure was cut almost down to the waterline with hardly anything remained with one exception.  For some reason the old BQR2B sonar stack was still on board.  It could have been the very one I operated while on board.  I almost started crying.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 11:57:56 PM »
Bill:

Some of us actually DID CRY over the fate of Greenfish!  Rich Pekelney of this BBS headed up a project to obtain parts for many of the museum boats from her... but some numbskull in the Brazilian scrap yard couldn't understand that Rich was serious about the program... and well, our hope for parts went up in smoke.. along with Rich's personal investment

Pass the tissues...   :'( :'( :'(
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 01:16:48 AM »
Bill:

Some of us actually DID CRY over the fate of Greenfish!  Rich Pekelney of this BBS headed up a project to obtain parts for many of the museum boats from her... but some numbskull in the Brazilian scrap yard couldn't understand that Rich was serious about the program... and well, our hope for parts went up in smoke.. along with Rich's personal investment

It's too bad that some of the old gal couldn't have been spared.  I think I would have felt better if she had been sunk.  At least she would have had some dignity.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 05:44:36 PM »
Bill:

No boat should ever end up like the Greenfish did.  It was gutted without any respect.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack