Author Topic: Fate of the Russian B-39  (Read 15328 times)

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Sonar: The Eyes and Ears of the Boat
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of the Russian B-39
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 03:01:30 PM »
Oh wow thats amazing when you were starting out the sonar technology as far as listening to vessels that was in its beggening stages right i know now its far technologically better. How good were you at what you did on the blueback? its really interesting to hear about this truly is thanks bill soo much

I was "battle stations" sonarman, which meant that if there was anything going on I was to man the sonar equipment.  Not because I was more experienced but because I had really good hearing (then) and could distinguish sounds quite well.  There is a lot of background "noise" in the ocean that you have to try to listen through to pick out the target.  I was able to do it well enough to be called upon whenever the occasion presented itself.  I still would handle my shift on the stack during routine times but would be called in to man the stack when needed.

One thing I should clarify.  Sonar began before WWII.  That was the beginning stages of underwater detection.  While I was on boats, sonar had progressed to a much higher technological level where the sound was analyzed by the equipment more than by the operator.   It was the beginning of the computer age.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 03:09:24 PM »
OH i see now thanks the sonar equpiment would pretty much pick up anything in the ocean you just had to distingquish which ship or sub was friend or foe it seems like overall the russians really werent that far behind us in technology and towards the end of the cold war there subs were really quit like ours they had alot of the same technology weopons sonar and so on though we had more accomadations then them theres werent ment for that when you went to the B-39 what was the biggest differnce you saw in that then in the Uss Blueback?
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 05:06:52 PM »
OH i see now thanks the sonar equpiment would pretty much pick up anything in the ocean you just had to distingquish which ship or sub was friend or foe it seems like overall the russians really werent that far behind us in technology and towards the end of the cold war there subs were really quit like ours they had alot of the same technology weopons sonar and so on though we had more accomadations then them theres werent ment for that when you went to the B-39 what was the biggest differnce you saw in that then in the Uss Blueback?

The B-39 was smaller inside.  The crew's and officer's accommodations were very spartan.  Very little was built in for comfort.  The Blueback had outstanding accommodations (as did the rest of the Sub Fleet compared to the Soviets).  We had much more room in our sleeping quarters.  The crew's mess area, where we ate and congregated for movies, meeting and games, was palatial in comparison to the B-39. 

In addition to that difference, the Blueback was an extremely quiet boat.  Whereas the boats like the B-39 were louder and easier to pick up.

The soviets realized their shortcomings and later made huge advancements in their submarine design and the equipment used on board.  They were as good as a lot of the US fleet eventually.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 05:24:12 PM »
It sounds like life aboard a submarine in the mid 60s when you were on really wasnt that bad. Beside spying on the Russian Submarines (i know some parts of the cold war are classified ) did you guys have missions you went on into dangerous areas.

I cant wait to visit the USS BLUEBACK after high school and the USS growler also
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
It sounds like life aboard a submarine in the mid 60s when you were on really wasnt that bad. Beside spying on the Russian Submarines (i know some parts of the cold war are classified ) did you guys have missions you went on into dangerous areas.

I cant wait to visit the USS BLUEBACK after high school and the USS growler also

Being on board a US boat was truly one of the greatest things I've experienced.  The camaraderie with your shipmates is the best and the job was rewarding.  In answer to your question, yes, that's the role of a submarine.  I hope you get to tour the "Back".  She is the last of her kind.
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 07:37:52 PM »
Being on board a US boat was truly one of the greatest things I've experienced.  The camaraderie with your shipmates is the best and the job was rewarding.  In answer to your question, yes, that's the role of a submarine.  I hope you get to tour the "Back".  She is the last of her kind.
Thats one of the reasons why i want to go into the navy or maritime archaeology, What did you learn while being in the navy i imagine you served for quite sometime and yes i hope i do get to tour it she sounds like a very nice submarine if i do beleive she served till the 80s thanks for teaching me about the sonar iv learned alot.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 01:02:58 AM »
Hey Bill I looked at pictures of the B-39 the inside was very cramped as far mess hall and going into the other rooms my parents would never fit through them..the officers and captains quarters arent that bad though it looked more spacious then the WW2 SUBMARINES but were talking about 1970 soviet submarine really inside it looked pretty bad though...The Torpedo tubes looked alot smaller then i thaught they would and theres tons of valves and such gauges in the ship i could see how someone would get lost. your lucky you had the Russian interpreter i didnt know what a damn thing was in the ship looking through the pic.. >:( oh well from the pics iv seen of the blueback looks alot nicer