Author Topic: Weather  (Read 7845 times)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Weather
« on: June 27, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »
i have a question for yall when serving on a submarine or being a tour guide/volunteer what is the worst weather youv been in im asking this because i know in oklahoma we have tornados in the spring and places such as alabama has hurricanes how do you prepare for the worst case senario just curious
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 08:40:56 AM »
Mostly the extreme Oklahoma heat with temps in the 100's and high humidity (creating a 110+ heat index).
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 12:38:10 PM »
Thats practically the worst thing about our weather here
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:38:46 PM »
IN Ok.  We go from the 100's in the summer to the 20's and 30's in the winter.  We try to avoid the most extreme weather where we can.  As the boat does have A/C heat is a less signigicant problem other the limiting out outdoor activities.   If I have ice or snow, I willl close the boat down as the deck become unsave at that point.  Tornados is not a problem as the fire mashal states that the sub is the safest place around.  Not much chance of a tornado lifting a 300 foot long piece of steal.....

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 08:57:28 PM »
Thanks i was just curious

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 10:44:49 AM »
The nice thing about Cleveland is we have the worst of all weather systems!   Although COD is closed for the winter, we have been aboard during blizzards with gale force winds. The summer can be 100+ heat index in the early afternoon followed by 100-mph wind thunderstorm  with a hurricane force wind off the lake that bends steel signs and bounces COD like a bathtub toy.
Thank God the hatch seals are good...  don't want to end up like the Russian Julliett sub in Providence, RI... sunk by a Noreaster!   :'(
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »
The nice thing about Cleveland is we have the worst of all weather systems!   Although COD is closed for the winter, we have been aboard during blizzards with gale force winds. The summer can be 100+ heat index in the early afternoon followed by 100-mph wind thunderstorm  with a hurricane force wind off the lake that bends steel signs and bounces COD like a bathtub toy.
And I thaught Oklahoma was the bi polar state.  I mean we have bad thunder storms here usally there about 80mph wind and usally take the power out pretty quickly as we found out with tropical storm IKE. hey paul how good did the heaters do in the blizzard? its a good thing no one was on board the russian sub when it sank.