Author Topic: Where can I find an Original or Replica WWII BALAO CLASS PERISCOPE??  (Read 7687 times)

Offline Floyd

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
Any ideas or how much it would cost??

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I find an Original or Replica WWII BALAO CLASS PERISCOPE??
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »
Replica?  Well if someone were to replicate a search or attack scope, working, it would be MILLIONS of bucks!  But why?  The USN has plenty of mark 4 scopes they could loan to museums and such.  Talk to the Navy's curator branch to see what is available, if you're a non-profit.
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Floyd

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:02:37 AM »
I didn't really mean a WORKING one, just the lower base of one that the scope comes out etc, coming out of the ceiling of my house. I mean SURELY someone has done that before

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 08:52:43 AM »
No, I don't think so... lots of sub vets have pieces and parts of their boats hanging on their walls (darn them!  :knuppel2:  )  but nobody has gone the route of hanging a scope, working or not, from their ceiling... (that I know of....)    AND DON'T CALL ME SHRILEY!!    (Airplane, the movie)...

:crazy2:

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:10:03 AM »
This coming from a guy that used to have a MK 48 or so I have heard in his basement :2funny: and I am very surprised you didn't take the remains of the scope that was hit by the car home with you for the basement :crazy2:

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 12:19:06 PM »
Well now you have a way of spying on your neighboors or something   :2funny: i really want to see a picture of what it looks like when the project is done
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Floyd

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:38:24 PM »
I'm trying to buy that WWII Prop Sub in Los Angeles  :)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 08:38:28 PM by Floyd »

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:13:45 AM »
BTW DARRIN --

the scope that was destroyed by the errant car driver back in 1988 was recycled... the head is now our pink scope display... the tube is a new scope, the headbox is in a museum, as well as the glass optical elements!   :angel:   

Can I put you down as an organ donor?     If your brain dies, you have to buy me Wurlitzer organ!    :laugh:

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 12:20:18 AM »
I'm trying to buy that WWII Prop Sub in Los Angeles  :)

I hope you do buy it would be a good peice im really suprised anyone would put a parascope in their house kinda freaks me out at first but its really cool idea spying on ur neighboors and watching out for bad dudes especially in California  i think its a very good idea who knows maybe ul find a american liberty ship with that thing :D anyway ya i hope it works out well for you it sounds like a very neat unusall project good luck :)
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 08:07:20 AM »
Awe come on Paul I was just pinging ya, I know the scope was recycled after the '88 accident :)

And I already am an organ donar, don't know what will be left of my body when I am done with it though :2funny: