Author Topic: Batfish bow planes are now rigged out  (Read 36688 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish bow planes are now rigged out
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »
Duly noted on the telephone switch box and the JA Phone circuit uses a "growler" that is in every box to create enough power (by hand crank) to send the signal to the station selected on the box in each compartment and has NO electrical power provided through any source other than the hand cranks (growlers) that are located in each "call box"

Do you have bilge alarms installed? because if they are installed and still work you may have water in your bilges.. and IF I remember correctly that the San Tanks had NO alarms attached to them to keep them from being over filled, you should have a yarway (fill gauge) inside of the head mounted on the bulkhead next to the mirror.

Have you ever thought about having San Tank #1 pumped out using a honey sucker tossing a hose down through the FTR Weapons loading hatch and then using the existing toilet and ball valve.. Torsk does that for the FWD Head, no modifications required, no cutting of the hull

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 10:31:42 AM »
Not sure if a honey sucker hose could reach our torpedo room.  It's a long way down to the ground from the bow.

We have not looked into the bilge  alarms, but we still have the yarway gauges.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
I can say with reasonable confidence that he bildge is dry.  3 Creek kids and a bunch of buckets took care of roughly 75 gallons of bildge water. :2funny:

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 01:39:27 PM »
Hi Darrin...I'm way late on this and I apologize.  As you are well aware, I've been away for a while and am only now getting back on the forum.  Then I had to find this one photo of the placard among literally a thousand photos of the Batfish...then I had some generic name for the photo and it wasn't in the folder I thought it was.  Man, I need to get organized.

Anyway, below is the placard I got from the Drum.  Again, many thanks to Tom for helping learn the ropes.  Thanks to Ed and Mark S. who helped me with the manual labor.

Sorry again for the delay.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »
No worries my friend,

I believe that TVA put the bow planes down a couple of times last year or the year before when we started discussing the bow planes on here, and TVA has not been onboard since April of this year and are just as frustrated as you all are on the Batfish.

Personally I haven't been onboard her in over 2 years now due to retiring to Florida in '12 to take care of my parents, sadly both have now passed away (mom 29 Jul 13 and dad 1 Jul 14) and with TVA being removed from the boat I have little reason now to go back to Baltimore other than to see family that I have up there and they all have busy schedules.  On the 25 I will be in Daytona to have a beer on the beach with my lady and my fathers ashes to celibrate what would have been his 76th birthday.

Thank you for posting the picture my friend, hopefully one day we all will be back on our respective museum boats once more and have a good relationship with the museums instead of what a few of the volunteer groups have been going through what now appears to be on more than a few boats and for more than a few years.

Take care and keep your chin up

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:14 AM »
Darrin,

Sorry to hear about your parents.

Mark

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mike

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 12:06:41 PM »
On the 25 I will be in Daytona to have a beer on the beach with my lady and my fathers ashes to celibrate what would have been his 76th birthday.

Sorry to hear about this as well, Darrin...
We're still waiting to do the same with my Mother's ashes, and it's been 18+ years...
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2014, 11:22:46 PM »
Thank you Mark and Mike for your condolances, it has been a rough 2 years and once this is over hopefully we can start the school of the boat again.. I need to call a few people and see if I want to close the former school down and restart a new one... What do you all think about that?

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 12:29:59 AM »
"School of the Boat?"
Sure...
"Eustis"?
Absolutely.
"Rucker"?
Oh, my my...oh hell yes.
"When you're holding people's attention, I feel you must give them high-quality ingredients. They deserve nothing but your best. And if they need information, get it, cross-check it, and try to be right. Do not waste their time; do not enjoy the ego trip of being onstage."

Henry Rollins

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 07:38:36 PM »
Out of curiosity - how much of a pain in the 4th point of contact is it to rig the planes out? This was hydraulic when operational, right?

Henry Rollins

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »
Mike,
The bow planes are normally lowered using hydraulics however they can be lowered manually that consists of using the chain fall that also is attached to the Fwd Capstan. Personally I have never lowered them (i was on a 688 LA Class Boat in the Early 90's)

Go through the school of the boat because we had talked about it at one time or another

Darrin

Offline Mike

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:30 PM »
Thanks... getting there...

Henry Rollins