Author Topic: new things at the Batfish...  (Read 137102 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: new things at the Batfish...
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2008, 05:08:31 PM »
yes. as that was the one already sent in....

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2008, 11:50:18 PM »
Any plans on painting BATFISH in a standard Measure 32SS camo scheme? That would go a long way to making her look like a mean, lean, killing machine!

BTW: those five Mark 9 depth charges are rather valuable to certain DE and DD managers who may be able to trade some sub goodies for them!  Maybe keep one, as we do, in the collection to show what we used to kill similar enemy subs, or what was dropped near our own subs to indoctrinate the newbies on what to expect on a war patrol... 

-- PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2008, 10:50:26 AM »
Crapgame: Then make a DEAL!
Big Joe: What kind of deal?
Crapgame: A DEAL, deal! Maybe the guy's a Republican. "Business is business," right?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2008, 12:21:09 PM »
I need $160k to paint the boat.  We are trying to get some one to poney up.  Any suggestions?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
In addition to the nuke boat bell, maybe this is another good grant writing project for me to tackle.  if Paul, Tom, et. al. point us to the right money bag.. er.. philanthropist, I can tackle the paperwork.  This is pretty staright forward work and shouldn't require tons of verbiage.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2008, 01:31:24 PM »
Also, I noticed that some of the machinery below the deck has stainless steel parts and the paint easily flakes off of it, because stainless usually doesn't like paint - I saw someone with a painted Dolorean years ago and it was pealing pretty badly.

I would like to humbly suggest that we mask off the stainless parts after stripping them and leave them as is.  If we're going to spend $160K on a paint job, we may as well go the extra inch.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2008, 01:39:47 PM »
I need $160k to paint the boat.  We are trying to get some one to poney up.  Any suggestions?

Is that the estimate for the sandblasting and painting?  No sponsors yet?

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2008, 06:07:43 PM »
I wish I could point you to the money because then I could take a day or two off and quit hanging over the side in this heat. LOL
Tom Bowser

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2008, 12:30:03 AM »
Wow $160K ???  That must include sandblasting...

How about another coat of paint over the existing stuff for now... that could be donated or sponsored by some local car dealership for placement of a sign onthe grounds???   Just a thought...   :-\

PF

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2008, 09:34:44 AM »
The thought has been brought up and duly shot down by vets and board members.  We still have some political hoops to jump through with the Batfish.  So, you are correct about the price including sandblasting. 

We were taking off a decent amount of paint with a pressure washer, though, and it was one of the less powerful models.  I wonder if the vets would agree to that idea, instead, since the museum doesn't get a water bill - the city pays for it.  My concern about sand blasting is damage to fragile equipment, like the periscope lenses.  Water blasting would be gentle to the glass, but still abusive to old paint.  Plus, the water will dry, but we're sure to have a lot of sand in cracks and crevices for years to come.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2008, 12:46:54 PM »
yes, that includes sand blasting and paint.   You will find that I am not one to do a project like this half heartedly.  I have found that if you take short cuts (like painting over an already pealing paint job) you will be doing it again in 2 years.  I would rather spend the extra time and money now and be done with it. 

Big cost now = low maintenace latter

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2008, 06:40:34 PM »
Good for you Rick.

I have a professional sandblaster and painter coming in intwo weeks with crew and equipment, they are donating two days time which I know won't do the whole boat but will be a big help. The local abrasive supplier just today agreed to donate 9,000 pounds of abrasive which is also a big help. We are finally going to get started.
Tom Bowser

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2008, 01:04:29 AM »
Periscope glass is not happy when it gets blasted by sand... but also keep in mind you have lots and lots of brass and brozne deck fittings that must be masked and not blasted, including your capstan drum... PLEASE DONT MAKE THE MISTAKE WE DID IN 1988!!!    Our capstan drum and other delicate fittings were badly scoured by the sandblaster and it was OUR FAULT for not understanding what was going on!

PF :buck2:

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2008, 09:19:52 AM »
For the batfish.  this is a big consideration.  We already understand that we will have to resotre some superstructure in the prossess.  I hope to minimize this as much as possible. We are not going touch the pariscopes for several reasons.  we are going to stop at the pariscope housings on the sheers.   Sounds like we need to start makeing a list of brass fittings on the boat that we are or may come acorsse.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2008, 09:20:22 AM »
Exactly my point.  It may behoove us to actually scour the Batfish with a high-pressure washer, first, and see what is actually under the paint.  Then, we can mask off the items we don't want them to pulverize.  By the time they show up to sand blast, a lot of the paint will have been removed by the pressure washer, anyway, which would probably reduce our total cost.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor