Author Topic: Shipboard Work Orders  (Read 5461 times)

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Shipboard Work Orders
« on: July 19, 2010, 04:03:45 PM »
Hello All

We are starting to put together the electrical team for the USS Batfish and as such want to use a "Work Order" process, where a project is defined, reviewed and signed off by the electrical team. Do we know if such a process was standard on WWII boats and if so, does anyone have a "template" that we can review? Documentation and standard practices is what we are striving for.

Thanks
Charlie Hoy
USS Batfish

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Shipboard Work Orders
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
Charlie,

On the active duty boats (or at least in the 90's when I was still onboard them) we had a lock out/ tag out procedure which required a qualified submariner to put the tagout for whatever system together and have it reviewed and signed off by the Duty Officer prior to hanging the tags and then a second qualified submariner had to sign off on the tags. A couple of years ago a couple of us suggested this on the Torsk but it never truly took off...

Something that we had on the 688's that I haven't seen truly seen on the WWII boats are the piping tab's showing the location of all of the piping and wiring how it was run throughout the boat and we found out the hard way that regardless of what the piping tab showed we had to do a hand over hand tracing of the piping and wiring prior to lockout tagout procedures could be done. That does not mean that they don't exist, I may have never asked the right questions or for that matter I have been shown them, I just don't remember and for that matter the Batfish may have a good set onboard.

However OSHA does have guidelines for Lockout/Tagout procedures and here they are:   http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/controlhazardousenergy/index.html

Here is the link to the Navy tagout procedure to include showing of the "red tag"    http://www.tpub.com/content/et/14086/css/14086_44.htm

Good luck, and again thank you for helping out on this truly worthy cause

Darrin

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Shipboard Work Orders
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:44:18 PM »
THANKS DARRIN

This is an important process. I am going to do some additional research to just in case we don't have the reinvent the wheel. With our boat crew still pretty small we can do some of these things without too much disruption. A good idea came out of our meeting last weekend in using the small wire tags that some of the Utility Companies use to lockout on permanent basis some of the loose equipment and thenuse the Navy tags recommended here for quick projects. Good stuff. Would like to have a few handy for the boat. Will see if I can appropriate some!

Will keep you up to date!

Charlie