Author Topic: Living History Weekend USS Batfish - Radio Operations  (Read 5409 times)

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Living History Weekend USS Batfish - Radio Operations
« on: July 28, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »
Hello All

The USS Batfish Living History weekend is coming August 13-14th 2010. As part of that operation we are planning to mann the radio room with an operator who will be transmitting CW for most of the day.

We have not decided times, frequencies, etc., but will be doing so as soon as possible. After museum hours we will be TX on normal voice frequencies, i.e., 20,40, and 80 meters. Will be checking into some of the nets etc., so watch for us.

Any questions contact me and we can see if we can arrange a hook-up. Cards will be issued under WW2SUB/WW2OK.

Regards
Charlie - W5HOY

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Living History Weekend USS Batfish - Radio Operations
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 05:25:06 PM »
Will post this on the Torsk bbs,  www.usstorsk.org  and see if they will have the radio room up and operating that weekend

Darrin

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 06:37:52 PM »
im going down there so long as i dont have much math homework
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 10:38:12 AM »
Hello All

We are 2 days away from Living History weekend for the USS Batfish and radio operations are underway. Update - We have two (2) CW operators confirmed for Saturday who will be operating from inside the boat. Freq and times are not set. The operations will work from 9AM to 5PM (15;00 UTC -23:00 UTC) CDST - The Call Sign will be WW2SUB. 

There will also be a operations setting up in the museum operating same hours but using CW and Voice - Call Sign will be WW2OK.  They will be working all major bands.

After 23:00 UTC the boat will go to Voice and we will be working primarily 40 / 80 meters. I will be working the OMISS nets at 40M (7.185) starting at 01:00 UTC (8PM) CDST and then switching over to the 80M net at 3.942 at 02:00 UTC or 9PM CDST.  We will be checking in under my Call Sign W5HOY #6050 and will list the WW2SUB as a "freebie". We will QSL Cards all contacts.

We will go as long as we need to on Saturday night (14th). If you would like to set up a call after 5PM Local just let me know and I will try to arrange.

There are some storms predicted for the area on Saturday so we will work around as needed.

Regards,

Charlie -W5HOY :o

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »
Hello Everyone

Sort of a post mortem on the Living History weekend at the Batfish -

I am really proud of the HAM crew that came to participate - and more especially the two members that worked inside the boat. They came prepared and dressed for the ocassion! I asked that they honor the need to look the part and both were ready to go..

The inside crew working the WW2SUB call sign focused on CW (Morse Code) for the entire day. Over 300 visitors passed by the radio room and saw them working the wires hard and fast. An additional crew member worked with them and the public to explain what was happening and from everyone's comments it went really well.

The crew was able to make contacts throughout the day  - and to the delight of the operators, were able to make several DX calls including Berlin!

Two additional stations were set up - museum level and outside working the WW2OK call sign. They worked both CW and Voice and also made alot of contacts. I worked the boat Friday night on Voice (primarily 20M) and my highlights were European Russia, Czech Republic, Guatemala, Navaho Code Talkers (N7C), and my last call Saturday morning was JA9PPC - Japan. It was interesting to explain to him why we were celebrating VJ day!

All in all we established a good working relationship with the LH team, had some great fun and created some new enthusiasm for coming back again in Feb. 2011.

We look forward to being a part of this again soon!

Charlie (W5HOY)