Author Topic: COD cycles her bow planes!  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
COD cycles her bow planes!
« on: August 06, 2010, 12:38:47 AM »
Thanks to Boats and Ron and Dan USS COD can lower and raise our bowplanes!  Here is a link to the Picasa webalbum of the images I shot today of the planes coming down and then going back up after the curator got to see some COD fabric that has not been exposed in more than 52 years!  Also got to check out some original USN haze gray sub paint from the 1950s.  The starboard plane was a trip, being over water and all.  We lowered the planes at closing time. The 10 people aboard all waited on the grounds to see the historic lowering...  even got two more folks who almost jumped over the barbwire and chainlink fence... seems the guy was a SSBN sub vet who happened to be in town from downstate and discovered COD. He thought he'd have to look through the fence when he saw the planes coming down... He really enjoyed the event.

Wanna see a flipcard video?  Click the slide show, move the timer to 1 second and watch the planes drop almost in realtime!  Also at the end of the show you'll see the planes rigged for surface.  Nice shots of Boats too!
Also, you'll see first hand what Steve and his crew are up against with their metal replacement project.   BTW:  if you want to do some hands-on metal work, Steve and crew can always use some help!   :laugh:

LINK:
http://picasaweb.google.com/108684722082944983666/CODBowplanes#
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: COD cycles her bow planes!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 05:57:19 PM »
LOOOOKIN GOOOOOOD PAUL :smitten: :smitten:

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 02:22:31 PM »
Very cool Paul! Could you read the anchor while you were out there? Tim's still curios about that. :D

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 09:40:54 AM »
Boats and I squeezed out of the limber hole onto the starboard plane, but it is too far aft of the anchor to see anything... we will need to get a boat and keep it against the hull to see the underside of the anchor...  the mystery continues........     8)
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 04:11:36 PM »
wouldnt the boats have the same achor assighned to them?
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 07:24:11 PM »
Copy cats!   ::)

Nice work, guys!  I bet it was a lot of "fun" getting that hydraulic system working, again. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy