Author Topic: Another Successful VJ Day Weekend Event  (Read 15953 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Another Successful VJ Day Weekend Event
« on: August 15, 2010, 07:54:09 PM »
Here's what Rick sent to us today:  "You all should be proud that you all just exceeded all numbers that I have on record.  We took in 321 visitors through the register on Saturday with a total $1920 in revenue.  The largest single day total we had since the start of this progam has been 244 at just over $1500.  This coupled with the extreme heat is a huge success…."

In other news, we had another run-in with the aging electrical service on Saturday afternoon, but thankfully we got the few remaining visitors off the boat in an orderly fashion (much to their amazement, but not to mine) and the electrician got the lights and part of the AC back online within the hour.  A 30+ yr old 200 amp breaker on the utility pole finally gave up the ghost.  A week of extreme heat and bringing 321 visitors aboard within 6 hours finally did it in  - the breaker was fried.  This is step 1 of a planned electrical upgrade process.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Another Successful VJ Day Weekend Event
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 08:24:37 PM »
Its a good thing it didnt give out when alot of people were there and thats really neat u gotsoo much people there espeically since its been soo hot here in this state yall should do one of theese in the wintertime woudlnt that be awsome
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 09:46:56 AM »
We do one in February as well. I wasn't suprised that we got them all off but I was extremely impressed with the efficiency. We got around 30 people (including elderly and children) completely off and to the museum in less than 5 minutes with not even a single reported bump or bruise.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 12:06:44 PM »
It's funny that you mention the breaker giving up the ghost, didn't we last year or so discuss during the FIRE FIGHTING evolution of the School of the Boat, having the power go down with visitor's onboard?? It sounds like you all took that evolution to heart :)   BZ guy's

Glad to hear that no one got hurt and that power was restored an hour later, it sounds like it is time to really go through the boat and get her fixed piece by piece. 

Darrin

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:52:58 PM »
We are working on that porcess.  Unfortunately this is a long process as many of you already know.  I look forward to seeing the Muskogee War Memorial cotinue to grow.   There are lots of new things being planned....

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »
Its a very nice museum..though the howitzer was not nice to me last time i was there......was there much over crowding in the sub at all?people escapeing the heat
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »
We had a crowd show up around 11 and it didn't quit until 5-ish.  Power went down around 5:30 with a few guests aboard, as Correy stated.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Wesley Green

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 11:19:25 PM »
I took my 3 1/2 yr old daughter through the boat a few times that afternoon, and the power went out on our second time through the galley. it seemed like things went very well with the visitors evac.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »
Correy/Mark give me a call in regards to this please.. I have a couple of questions to ask all of you

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 11:21:32 AM »
I sent you a reply email.  We aren't the main electrical gurus for the museum.  The Hams know more about the mess than we do.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 06:38:10 PM »
Mark, got your email at work and will reply to it here shortly ;)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
Just got back from my honeymoon. What did I miss ???

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 05:47:29 PM »
CONGRATS CORREY!!!

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 12:47:32 PM »
Thanks! I actually found a woman that'll share the spotlight with a 67 year old girl that displaces 2400 tons when she swims.  8)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 12:11:02 PM »
There is a lot to be said about these large old grey ladies......