Author Topic: Barometers  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Barometers
« on: August 25, 2010, 03:02:39 PM »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Barometers
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
I can point out exactly where the barometers are on the boat.  I do not know the internal workins.  As far as I am aware, they were only used to test the seal on the boat when diving....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 02:37:37 PM »
I'm guessing that they mounted on the round, wooden plates that you see in several compartments.  At first I thought the clocks mounted on those, but a few period photos led me to believe otherwise.  It would be nice to get at least one put up in the CT.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:48:31 PM »
I have photos of COD's barometer and it's missing. I have acquired several to replace it. The ones, like your eBay version, I have acquire have solid faces. The ones in the photos from WWII show an outer ring with the inch scale, but have a clear inner circle to show the workings. I will find a photo of our original and post it. One may have been mounted in the CT, but the one for certain was on the diving station, between the shallow diving gages and above the deep water gage. The ones aboard COD and most other WW II era boats were painted black.  This one may not have been aboard a sub.  Now the snorkel boats had altimeters in the wardroom so when the snorkel dipped, you could tell how bad the sub atmosphere was!

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:05 AM »
I saw an altimeter in Torsk's maneuvering room, too, on the right (split) cubicle.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 01:26:43 PM »
Yes that would be the best place to put one... they would have the ability to shut down the rock crusher before everyone's eardrums popped!  Can't remember which boat had one in the wardroom too... maybe Becuna.

here is the altimeter on TORSK, shot last week.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 01:29:18 PM by Paul Farace »
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed