Author Topic: USS OLYMPIAS FINAL BATTLE.....  (Read 5453 times)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
USS OLYMPIAS FINAL BATTLE.....
« on: September 06, 2010, 10:23:17 PM »
I got sad news today the uss olympia in philidephia will either be scrapped or the navy will sink her or she will sink at her morings in the delaware river.. the only hope to save her by November 11 is to raise i think its 10 million to repair her hull,sopposbly water is already sneaking in the ship to the lower officers quarters and they dont think she will last much longer she is sopposbly the oldest steel warship still afloat. She served in the spanish american war and carried the Uknown Solider from world war 1. Sadley shes not the only one on fence post the USS New Jersey and USS United States are also in trouble. Its really sad in this strapped economy i mean there takeing in 90,000 a year but its not helping much it must be so hard for all the musems really. Anyway thats the update sad news from philidephia

Matt aka tater salad
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:39:23 PM by BrokenArrowtiger »
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: USS OLYMPIAS FINAL BATTLE.....
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »
That is sad.  The carrier museums will probably suffer a similar fate.  Big is not always better.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy