Author Topic: School of the Boat 13 Sept 2010 (air systems valve line up)  (Read 8859 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
School of the Boat 13 Sept 2010 (air systems valve line up)
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:13:59 PM »
Okay folks here we go once more into the minds of those whom have "been there and done that"

While I would love to tell you that the Fleet Manual show's how to operate the air systems correctly on your museum boat I would be wrong and probably lying to you. For most of us the thought of getting a Hi Pac running once more would be nothing more than a pipe dream, however I believe that the USS Pampinito is able to run her's as she was intended when she was built. SO what does that mean to the rest of us ???  we have to make ours work without the benifit of having our own ship's air compressors no longer being able to be brought online once more. Anyone want to take a shot at WHY most of us will never be able to do that??

For those whom still set in the water this school of the boat maybe a "duh we already know how to get air into the tanks" school of the boat and for those whom don't this maybe a very valuable tool that you didn't know was possible to do. and yes for those whom are no longer in the water (lucky bastages!) you maybe interested to know that yes you can run your air systems and be able to connect airhoses topside without having to foul hatches with air hoses.

Okay those whom are in the know about this school of the boat, now is your time to shine once more :coolsmiley:    And yes there may or may not be a diagram floating around the school of the boat link somewhere... oh maybe under the AIR SYSTEMS block.

Good luck all,

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Re: School of the Boat 13 Sept 2010 (air systems valve line up)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 12:32:57 PM »
My guess is the reason most cannot get their air cmpressors running is because of the lack of:

a.) DC electrical powr with enough amps to run that big-assed motor.
   b.) Cooling water for the cylinders and aftercoolers.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:38:05 PM »
Thanks Chief, you are correct,

besides who wants to spend their few hours onboard during their time off from work just to rebuild the Hardy Tynes in a confined space located in the lower flats when you can easily go to Lowes or Home Depot and buy a big air compressor or two that need A/C power and no cooling water not to mention little maintenance once they are hooked up and put online :knuppel2: or if you are lucky enough to have someone donate one or two to your boat that they don't need or for some reason just want to help :coolsmiley:

I had hoped that someone was still payin attention to this thread earlier than this and jumped on it but oh well, it has been one hell of a good time teachin and having you and JT and others teach with me..

Thanks again to all whom have helped with this project, it was good to be able to learn with all of you as time went on.

Darrin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:18:23 PM »
Thanks for posing these questions Darrin.  Please keep it coming.