Author Topic: COD's Reenactor Project 2010  (Read 13306 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
COD's Reenactor Project 2010
« on: September 22, 2010, 01:56:13 PM »
Over the Labor Day weekend we hosted a group of reenactors as part of our annual Military History Bivouac (coincides with the big Air Show!).  This year we had a very impressive group of young men who really wanted to "do it right" and they did.  After dinner (hell after midnight by the time we were underway) we set up some situations and I shot several hundred photos of them in various situations aboard COD. I plan on using the pictures in both our sub interpretation and website. Here is small selection of the images. 

Tell me what you think!

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: COD's Reenactor Project 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 11:13:41 AM »
Nice shots.  In the first picture the cook wouldn't have served the crew.  He would have passed the food through the serving window and the crew would pass it around family style.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »
Mark:

yes the cook wouldn't have served, but as COD is an EB boat without the pass-thru window, we had the newbies serve the chow... but I haven't a clue as to how the NUBs would have dressed for mess duty.

That pass through window seems like a good idea, but not so to the designers at EBCO!  Wonder why?  Maybe the idea of passing food over the grills was dangerous!

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
I can only speak about 688's, we wore dungaree's with a tee shirt when I mess cooked, no white hat.. Somewhere I think I may have a pic when I mess cooked, a boat's ball cap yes in port and at sea I don't remember anymore

Darrin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:16:38 PM »
I can only speak about 688's, we wore dungaree's with a tee shirt when I mess cooked, no white hat.. Somewhere I think I may have a pic when I mess cooked, a boat's ball cap yes in port and at sea I don't remember anymore

Darrin

Whoa, Darrin, you cooked for a while?

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 11:38:25 PM »
6 wonderful months of mess cookin, normal time for non quals is 90 days... Pissed the COB off while I was in Deck Div during West Pac '91 and did a second stint as a mess cook. granted the name has changed since my time on the boats, we had a not so nice name for them back then :2funny:

Besides the MS's tried to steal all of the non rated submariners (as did the A Gang and Quartermansters) after the first 90 day stretch I realized I didn't want to cook full time onboard and the second 90 solidified that, I still love to cook to this day but I don't cook for big crowds anymore.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 09:33:00 AM »
yes the cook wouldn't have served, but as COD is an EB boat without the pass-thru window, we had the newbies serve the chow... but I haven't a clue as to how the NUBs would have dressed for mess duty.

That pass through window seems like a good idea, but not so to the designers at EBCO!  Wonder why?  Maybe the idea of passing food over the grills was dangerous!

Our grills are on the forward water tight bulk head.  Where our pass-through window is we have counter top.  Even without a window, the cook on your boat would have still handed whatever was ready to the nearest swabby.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 12:00:23 PM »
Mark:

yes, George Sacco would have passed the platters to a swabbie... we need to fabricate the stainless steel fold down countertop that blocked the doorway into the galley where the platters were set for the servers... always something to do!

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 01:04:04 PM »
We don't have that fold down counter on the passage way side of the galley.  Not sure if our Portsmouth boat ever had it.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 12:37:33 PM »
I really like these events.  The boat just seams to come alive again when we have the crew on board....

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 01:41:32 PM »
YOU GOT THAT RIGHT!!!    :smitten:

But that takes a lot of dedicated folks and cooperation and coordination.  When our visitors encounter
these guys aboard the boat they really seem to engage with them and ask more questions.  What makes me laugh is that
we have some guys "sleeping" and our visitors whisper!!!

On a related point -- I have been pouring over COD's patrol films and can't find a single dixie cup being worn on deck!!! WHen they get
back to port and have to assemble, then they appear!  Go figure...    :-\

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Here's a shot of a packed crews mess onboard USS Tambor when my papaw was on patrol:

I can't imagine...

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 08:01:12 AM »
Paul
Hats went worn on the boats at sea except maybe a lookout to keep his head warm and hair in place. That was another good thing about the boats, relaxed regulations. The regular navy hated us for what we got away with. Once I got on the boats I wore welligton boots, had a devil of a time with the tender quaterdeck watch.
Tom

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 08:48:42 AM »
Nice photo, Lance.  It definitely tells a story.  Every museum should have a picture like that posted in the mess.

@Paul:  We had a few guys that slept on and off during visiting hours at our VJ event.  They could probably sleep through anything with the crowds that we had.  I don't think any of our visitors bothered to whisper, either.

We get to do it all over again in a few weeks, minus the crew cooking and sleeping aboard. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 03:24:05 PM »
I was one of those guys who took a quick nap and it was funny to hear folks as they passed by - "wow" they even have guys who fake sleeping!", or "papa, there's a dead guy up there" - good fun and great interaction with the visitors...

charlie-W5HOY