Linked Events

• USSVI 2008 Convention: September 01, 2008 - September 07, 2008

Author Topic: USSVI MEETING FT WORTH  (Read 33451 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: USSVI MEETING FT WORTH
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 04:17:09 PM »
I will be sending a box.   It will have some of our old tour guides,  and borchures as well as some sponsor letters.   

At this point in time, it does not look like I will be able to make the conventiona  >:(
i will keep you al posted.

Rick

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »
Rick, thanks. I hope this message ends up somewhere that I can find it and you can.  Sorry you won't be there, but maybe sometime I'll be able to get down to the Batfish. Hopefully maybe one of the other guys who work on the Batfish will be able to be at the convention.
So thanks for the suppllies, I hope they all get used up by people wanting to see the Batfish.
Bill
 :coolsmiley:
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2008, 04:36:42 PM »
Rick
I am disappointed, I was really looking forward to meeting you in person but I understand. So I will have to shake your hand here and thank you for taking on the Batfish and for all your hard work. I will try to get up there some time next year if I can dig myshelf out of all the sand around the Drum. :knuppel2:
Tom

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 11:06:15 PM »
Just wanted to make sure everyone knew that the convention is still on.  I think there may have been rumors otherwise.

Thanks again to those who are going!

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
USSVI MEETING FT WORTH - take pictures
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 09:20:42 AM »
If anyone is at or going to the convention that has a digital camera it might be nice to take and post some pictures for all of us to see.  Especially LIB's table where Lance's video will be playing on an endless loop for all to see.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 09:19:19 PM »
Plus submariners like girls.  :smitten:
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 09:56:50 PM »
Oh yes - WestPac girls are good...
-----

John

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2008, 08:11:27 AM »
I alsays dd have a tast for the pacific girls.     

I wonder is they are any better then the American ones.     ;D

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2008, 09:04:48 AM »
Japan, Hong Kong, Philippines, Indonesia - Oh My.  Lets not forget Australia and New Zealand.
-----

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2008, 11:43:17 AM »
News from Bill Lee:

Ok Guys, both Dave Farran and Pat Householder took pictures of me pretending to work, so we are covered. A lot of people have looked at Lance's DVD and are impressed. Brochures are going well and there are many that now know what we are doing. The convention is well run and we are busy. Hopefully tomorrow, Tom and Lesley will be there.
Bill

News from Rontini:

Things are going very well in Ft. Worth. Temp tonight was in the 70's. A little breezy..
Met Dave Stoops for the first time in life. We've been talking in email and on BBS's for 10 years. Also met Roy Ator. He's been around my BBS for ever also.
What's nice about these affairs is the closeness of the National Officers. Went to dinner last night and sat with Mike Bircumshaw, John and Joan Peters, Pat Householder, and Fred Borgmann from the National Office. Tomorrow Gil and I go to Breakfast with Mike Bircumshaw. Meetings start tomorrow with the District Commanders seminar. Holland Club breakfast was this AM.
I've seen the new calendars and they are terrific. The best yet.
National SK is not here again because of hurricane problems in Louisiana.
I think Bill has also signed up a couple of LIB members. I had another but found out he was from Salt Lake City and I yielded and will get him into the Utah Base. Forgive me. LOL
Bill was very busy today. Pat Householder watched the entire Lance Dean Museum video today. He was concerned it would detract from sales of his calendar. But there is no competition. They will complement each other. Pat is a huge memorial boat care fan and right now has this thing for the Clamagore. That boat is probably most in need of care.
I have spoken with the San Diego Convention planners. This one is going to the biggest ever. Start saving NOW! 600 rooms at the Host Hotel are blocked for us and 300 more to the International Submarine Association. If you want this hotel, get in early.
Bill went to the Welcome Aboard Party tonight at another location. Got to see a Dallas Cowgirl on stilts. How cool is that.
Tomorrow night the crew heads for Billy Bob's. This is the largest watering hole in the country I believe.
Ron Smith showed up today to begin selling his book. Not doing well. He begins chemo Monday. But he's still lucid and in good humor.
That's it...Have to watch the lady from Alaska about to speak.

Rontini

News from Pat Householder:

Well, Ron may have SEEN a Cowboy Cheerleader in stilts, but I got a couple of kisses from that tall gal!

We had a very spirited board meeting today and a number of things got taken care of.

The weather has been great and the shipmates have been terrific.  It was great to meet Dave Stoops finally, and to chat with Gil Raynor and Ron Martini again.  There really are a great bunch of folks here.

The all color museum boats calendars are going briskly.  Contact Huey Hahn at subhuey@aol.com for ordering information.

Got to go to the Bureau of Printing and saw how they print our money.  Very Impressive!

I only wish that all could be here to share in the good times.

News from Gil Raynor:

I have enjoyed this convention so far,  I have seen more of my former shipmates here that I have not seen before and this helps build our reunion list for the next Madison reunion in July.  Ron Smith made it, but he is taking a lot of medication and can only work his book table for short periods of time.  Warshot will be starting radiation treatments for cancer on Tuesday.  The Submarine Museum table is being well attended and folks are watching the DVD of the museum boats that Lance Dean put together.  So awareness of the museum boats and their needs is being widened and interest in helping as volunteers, docents and other wise is being gained.

John McMichael came up and spoke at the Holland Club Breakfast, but had to return to Galveston as Billie had some back surgery on the 2nd.  Well, I am so damn tired, gonna sign off for now.

Gil

And lastly, an article from a local Ft. Worth newspaper:

http://www.star-telegram.com/metro_news/story/885977.html

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
Re: USSVI MEETING FT WORTH election results
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »
National Commander: Pat Householder

National SR Vice Commander: Jon Jaques

National JR Vice Commander: Michael Bircumshaw

National Secretary: Al Singleman Jr.

National Treasurer: John Markiewicz

Eastern Region North Director: Paul W. Orstad

2008 Revised USSVI Constitution: Passed

2008 Revised USSVI Bylaws: Passed

USSVI Creed Change Proposal: Passed

Holland Club Proposals:  Neither proposal got enough votes to be adopted into the Constitution.
-----

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »
Way to go Pat!

I wonder what those Holland Club proposals were?

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2008, 06:44:28 PM »
They had to do with the 5 yr requirements :crazy2:
-----

John

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2008, 11:52:08 PM »
Sounds like the convention, is going good. Wish I could have been there to help promote the Batfish.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2008, 06:45:46 PM »
From what I've read, the convention ended this morning at 10 AM.  I'm hoping we'll hear from those who attended soon!