Author Topic: How can you help a Museum Boat?  (Read 11057 times)

Offline CHF

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
How can you help a Museum Boat?
« on: November 16, 2010, 10:02:02 AM »
Recently a group of Cub Scouts from Austin, Texas participated in a sleepover on the World War II submarine Cavalla, located at Seawolf Park, in Galveston, Texas.

The entire group, adults and youngsters alike, were treated to a recounting of the Cavallas first war patrol by Ernest “Zeke” Zellmer, Captain, USN, Ret.   

Zeke was a junior officer on the Cavalla when, on her maiden war patrol, she torpedoed and sank the first large Japanese  aircraft carrier sunk by a US submarine in WWII. This particular carrier, the Shokaku, was one of the carriers that participated in the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

A couple of comments from the attendees:    “It sounded really scary” and “It was cool to meet someone who was actually on the submarine when it was active” and also “It was inspiring to hear the stories from Zeke and the commitment made to protect our country.”
for every Zeke there's another that didn't make it back.  We must continue to remember those that sacrificed their lives in defense of our country so that we can enjoy the liberties we oftentimes take for granted"

The scouts and leaders had a great time and promised to come back and visit the Cavalla in the future.

I guarantee you, if you work with the groups doing these sleepovers and participate in them, you will have enjoyed every moment of it and provided an understanding to some young soul of what it means to be a submariner and why they were and are important to this nation.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: How can you help a Museum Boat?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 01:03:26 AM »
What does Cavalla do about restrooms?  That seems to be a limiting factor for sleepovers. 

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 12:16:12 PM »
Last time I saw the layout at CAVALLA they have public restrooms in a separate building nearby (some sanitary accommodations -- showers?-- may also be available aboard the STEWART).  On COD we either have to walk next door to the airport (about 600 feet) or use the portajohn on site (sucks!)  :-[

I am sure a Cavalla crewman should pipe in (pun inteded) and set us straight!

Oh I long for the day when COD has not only a flush toilet in the compound, but also a hot shower!!!  (it will be installed one day, just hope that I don't die of old age the next day!)   :tickedoff:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 02:18:19 PM »
Our overnight program has grown immensly over the years. We've had over 4,000 participants each year for the last 3 years. The kids (mostly boy scouts) absolutely love it and the staff really enjoy teaching the kids. Fortunatley the sub is attached to a big museum for head calls, which is great unless its 2 am, 15 below, and the deck is covered in ice and snow. Brrrrr!

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:21:16 PM »
Yea, I know that score!  That is why a supply of large screw-lid plastic (DISPOSABLE) jugs are nice!

Paul

:buck2:

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 09:54:50 AM »
The Batfish offers one overnight per month.  We do not have any type of shower,  but when you have a group like the Sea Cadets or Boy Scouts, or ROTC, they do not mind.  The participants do have to use the head in the museum, but that is all fenced and and does not provide any sort of problem....

Offline Karen D.

• Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 10:26:05 AM »
Hey Paul, I hear silver pitchers work well in a pinch  ;D

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:46:58 PM »
Is that where those "streakie water marks" come from on the side of the boat - at 2 AM?  :2funny:

Charlie-W5HOY

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 06:19:42 PM »
The food mixer bowl is even better. :2funny:
Tom

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »
Hey Paul,

Why don't you have a sliding gate on your fence installed so that a "honey truck" can come in and pump out San #1 in the FTR?? literally have them toss the hose into the tank through the ball valve..  As long as your Yarway's are in decent shape you should be fine.. that and the people remember to turn off the water :2funny:

That and you would also have to return a potable water tank to service one more time which isn't a bad thing, just remember it won't be potable unless you do all of the required maintenance checks on the tanks and check the water constantly and add the appropriate chemicals to keep the water potable..

Then there is having to be able to pressurize the air system so that you can pressurize the potable water tank which means more restoration work...

Hmmm I wonder where all of that information can be found so that yes you to my friend can make that possible :coolsmiley:

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
Darrin:

Thanks for the phone call tonight!  (the band and bar was loud, but eventually I heard you!)...

Our FTR ball valve is on the starboard side... our dock is port... but yea, that shoud work!

:smitten:

Offline SOB

• On Eternal patrol
  • Seaman
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2011, 07:08:36 AM »
What does Cavalla do about restrooms?  That seems to be a limiting factor for sleepovers. 

PAMPANITO is fortunate to be able to use the crew's head and #2 San - we have a hose connection to the sewer on the pier and fresh water aboard the boat. Instead of blowing, we use a submersible pump.

While San Francisco weather is "mild" compared to a lot of other places, it still gets damn cold - even frosty on rare occasion. And our wind, especially at night, cuts thru you like a knife.

For safety reasons, we don't want the overnighters going topside at night if it can be avoided. Thus the head on the pier doesn't get any useage until in the morning - then there is a long line of youngsters standing on one foot, then the other.  :tickedoff:

///SOB

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2011, 08:19:23 PM »
*gets very very weird image in my head*
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »
On Torsk, we had the yardbirds connect into the sanitary 2 blow line with a hose connection.  We also installed a septic pump in san 2.  Now we pump Sanitary 2 (Crew's Head) to a connection on the pier.  The blow line runs through the ballast tank on the stbd side.  The hose connection wa fastened to the tank inspection man-hole coming.