Author Topic: Cobia Work 2011  (Read 5997 times)

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
Cobia Work 2011
« on: January 11, 2011, 01:03:23 PM »
Well this year is going to be a busy and exciting year for Cobia. This week a local shipbuilding company, Burger Boat, started working on the vent risers. Burger is well known for building multi-million dollar yachts these days, but back during WW II, while Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company was building subs, Burger was just across the river building minesweepers and sub chasers.

They will be replacing most of the vent risers that have rusted through from sitting in water, solving the issue of the standing water, cleaning/repairing all tanks covers, and repairing structural supports underneath the conning tower. Years ago steam from an old boiler system created alot of problems in that area, which is one of the reasons we wanted to remove the 40mm for repairs...there is not much left to suport the gun!

The original plan for this year was to dry dock, but we are currently pursuing a company in the state that may be able to do underwater hull cleaning and repairs, which will hopefully save us some money.

I will post updates as work progresses through out the year.

Karen

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Cobia Work 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 11:11:34 PM »
Karen,

You have found what most in the museum business have been searching for and never found for or been able to keep for many many years, a shipyard whom is willing to come down and help out to save a museum, this is truly great news if they follow through with this.

Please update as much as you can and if you have any questions PLEASE ask, there are folks on here whom have been there and done that and I have little doubt will help you.

BZ to you and your crew,

Darrin

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 11:00:40 AM »
Thanks Darrin! We are very fortunate to have a strong relationship with Burger Boat. They are a major part of Manitowoc's shipbuilding history and therefore a big part of the musuem. And we were happy to keep the business in town, because they need to work right now.

If I have any questions I'll be sure to ask, thanks! At the moment though our biggest problem is the snow and water. Ahh Wisconsin winters, so much fun! Not the best time to start this kind of work, but that's the way it is! ::)

Karen

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 11:59:31 AM »
Hi all!

I haven't been very good an posting updates on the restoration work that been going on the last two months. I tried posting photos a few times, but they would't post for some reason.  ??? But, I just uploaded an album on our Facebook page for anyone who is interested.

They have removed about 2/3 of the manhole covers, cleaned and repainted them, and replaced them with all new gaskets and bolts. Some of the tanks were almost completely full and had ice right up to the top! One actually had some fuel oil at the top and the ice pushed the cover up just enought for some oil to leak out. Thankfully the guys were there to clean it up and put a brand new cover on it in just a few hours. Some of the vent risers also had holes the sive of a cantalope so those sections were cut out and replaced.

Right now they are in the fairwater stabalizing the entire section. Steam from the old boiler was vented into this area casuing alot of damage. The support for he 40 mm had a hole teh size of my fist and 2/3 of teh bottom gusset was basically missing. (I am so thankfull we removed the gun last December!) They removed the support, inserted a 3 inch solid steel stantion, and welded it back into place yesterday.

Karen