Author Topic: School of the Boat (21 Jan 2013) - Plumbing System  (Read 18955 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: School of the Boat (21 Jan 2013) - Plumbing System
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 08:33:01 PM »
Mark,

Honestly I wouldn't be too upset about the top of the tank being welded shut because that gives you a HUGE opportunity to still use the tank for what you want to use it for.. If I had to guess you have TWO choices as to how to use this tank.. 1 cut into the san piping and add a fitting so that an outside pumper (honey truck) can suck out all of the grey water OR have a welding company and the outside pumper company come in and have them tell you what size fitting you would need to have cut/welded in place so that you can make that tank operational once more..

Correy,

Great find... damn retired Army Aviation AH-64 A,D Armament and a former Los Angles class TorpedoMan guesstimated correctly as to where another set of access hatches are :2funny:

Darrin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: School of the Boat (21 Jan 2013) - Plumbing System
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 06:37:08 PM »
Darrin,

My main concern is not knowing the condition of the tank.  I suppose that we could figure that out by accessing one of the FERLL access points and inspecting the outside of the tank.  You are right, though, that without a working pneumatic system, we would need an alternate means of "blowing the tank", like a honey dipper, which requires a modified fitting of some kind.  If we go that route, then we would definitely bring a sani company out ahead of time to determine what type of fitting that they would prefer.

Still, I like my idea of getting the tank to drain automatically into a ballast tank, since we will probably only ever have gray water waste on board.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy