Author Topic: USS Batfish Tour Sheets  (Read 14562 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
USS Batfish Tour Sheets
« on: February 14, 2011, 07:35:00 PM »
Here are the first 5 tour sheets.  I have spent a lot of time on these for a period of over a year and you will see that some have been revised multiple times...

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: USS Batfish Tour Sheets - Part II
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »
... and here are the other 5...

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: USS Batfish Tour Sheets
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 11:43:27 PM »
Very nice work there Mark.  Thanks for putting these up!

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
Mark,

The tour sheets are terrific.  Do you mind if we use your ideas and work on Torsk?

Mike E

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »
These are free for all to use.  I used some information from several other museum websites, like Pampanito's.  The virtual tours on some of those sites were helpful, too.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 03:59:14 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 12:54:23 AM »
Mark,

WOW, BZ to you shipmate for the work that you and all involved have put into these :smitten:

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:01:43 PM »
Thanks, Mark.  We are already working on making changes so they are Torsk specific.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 03:45:01 PM »
Thanks, Darrin.  That means a lot coming from the head school master on here. 

Honestly, we seldom give all of this information to visitors on event weekends.  Otherwise, it would be a 2-hour tour and our goal is to limit a speech to maybe 5 minutes per compartment.  Almost impossible to do.  I try to memorize the highlights and if people have more questions, usually the tour sheets have the answers. 

You're never going to have someone ask you how to manually open a MBT vent when there is a hydraulic failure or how the negative tank affects the depth trim.  So, I left most of the "engineering" stuff off of the sheets.  I do explain how a torpedo tube is loaded, flooded, fired, sea water is salvaged, etc.  I also bring up decoys in the aft torpedo room, because it just amazes me what they thought of back then and how they managed to do it with vacuum tubes.  A visitor won't know to ask about decoys or that battery-operated torpedoes had to be recharged on a regular basis (in tandem with a hydrogen gas burner) unless you bring it up.

A lot of us are becoming tour/presentation experts, since many of us have done these public events 7 times and it gets easier every time (unless 400+ visitors show up in a 6-hour window).  A lot of the guys have thanked me for the tour sheets, because they have learned a lot about submarine operations and we all give a consistent message, now.  It was very embarrassing early on when we would tell a visitor one thing and then someone else would give a different answer.  The visitor almost always would challenge you and it removes your credibility as a historian and docent.  That was the main reason that I labored over these things.

So, I appreciate all of the positive feedback.  If you find anything incorrect or questionable, let me know. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Mark,

The only thing that I saw that you may want to mention is in regards to the Cubicles is that there are two different styles of Cubicles, single and split cubicles. other than that you have done one heck of a job on this and I hope that all of the museum boats will use this to help in their tours. :smitten:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 11:25:08 AM »
Thanks, Darrin.  I thought I had mentioned that in there.  Maybe I removed it to shorten the document. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 10:36:15 AM »
I've made more updates since I last posted here, which is two years ago.

I still need to make mention that there are two types of cubicles in the Man. Room.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor