Individual Submarine Boards > USS Marlin (SST-2)

Update on the Marlin and Freedom Park

<< < (2/4) > >>

Bill Wasil:
The Marlin looks even smaller than the Dolphin in San Diego.  Amazing.

Viejo:
Billl, it only looks smaller because it is.  :D 131' long and less than 13' at its widest point. 
Tonight I put up a fan page for Freedom Park on Facebook. After hooking up with the Batfish and the Cavalla pages, sounded like a good idea, so started on one.  Some of you guy  that I don't know about are probably on facebook, so if so, go to search and then type in Freedom Park and become a fan. Also send me an invite and we can get connected there.
Thanks,
Viejo :)

Lance Dean:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/East-Omaha-NE/Freedom-Park-Omaha-Nebraska/188868925641

Viejo:
Thanks Lance, glad someone knows to put in the details.
Viejo :D

Viejo:
In finding materials to write some lesson plans for the Marlin, I recently received an almost brand new piping diagrams book for the Marlin. You remember the thing you carried in your back pocket for months while qualifying. All the piping diagrams in color with valves and and even has all compartment diagrams and tank layout. Similar to what Bob Pettingill has up on the Snook page for 585 class boats. I am going to scan these in the computer so as to be able to blow up and put them around the boat. They also will help those of us who are working on the boat know where things are and will help with tours.
I don't expect docents to qualify like we did but the more they know or know where to find info, the better things are.
Once again from a standpoint of understanding that showing a museum boat to the best benefit of the visitor and the people who own the boat is different from serving on one.  You can overload someone with information and you can sometimes intimidate them by telling too much about something.
When I put down facts to talk about for one of the ships in the park, I have to keep in mind that what they visitor wants to know may be entirely different than what I might want to know, because I have served on a sub and they haven't. So I ask questions of those who come to look and I find from the answers that a lot of visitors are more interested in the day to day life and the personal aspects of what went on, rather than the engineering concepts. A for instance is that when women come aboard and I mention that the Marlin used to have to spend two days taking out wives on a dependent cruise because there wasn't enough room to do it in one day, then they start asking questions about how the wives liked that and what it was like. It makes it more real to them to know that some other woman actually went out to see in what they are standing on. Teaching, like everything else is a learned skill and not all have the same interest in doing each job. But then, I have great need for those who just like to work on the sub and not deal that much with the public. There is a place for all types of people to work on our museum boats.
 It reminds me of when I used to build and sell houses. You sold the kitchen and bath to the wive and you sold trusses and insulation or different types of walls to the husband.
Remember we are selling when we show off a boat. We are selling info, good will, interest, and what we get back is more people wanting to see what they heard about or people wanting to donate because we convinced them that helping with this boat or this need was an important way for them to spend some money. 
I'll let all know when I get this on the computer and probably will put them up in a folder on the Freedom Park page. I'll also work on the same thing for the Hazard.
Viejo

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version