Author Topic: Batfish Deck  (Read 240838 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Batfish Deck
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2008, 11:53:25 PM »
Had 5 out today: me, my wife, Sam Whitley, Stephen (new guy) & Rick.  We got the remaining boards by the forward entrance off (see before and after pics), plus we got the boards to starboard of the bridge removed.  Amazing how it goes when you have numbers.

Will be back out on the 4th...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2008, 08:09:49 PM »
I haven't gone through all of these postings yet so I'm not sure if anyone knows this yet but I have a copy of the original COMSUBPAC orders from late 1944 describing all of the colors in detail, where they should be painted, how, why, ect.ect. It's several pages long but addresses all paint from top to bottom. If anybody wants a copy, let me know and I'll copy it for you.

Correy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »
GREAT Job on the fwd deck, it is starting to look good, I forgot to post the pics of Torsk's that is going down also right now (these were taken yesterday afternoon after the work stopped for the day) Hopefully later tonight I will get them posted.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2008, 11:44:53 AM »
Correy,

I remember Rick getting a copy of the paint scheme.  Hopefully, he and Bradley are making headway with blasting and painting for this fall.

Mark A.,

The 4th looks good to me.  I'll see you then.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2008, 07:37:09 PM »
There is an update on Torsk's fwd deck work and pic to go with it, I can't wait to see your deck go back on also and hopefully it won't be as long as ours was off ;)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2008, 06:47:34 PM »
IF possible the next time you all work on your deck can you possibly get me the sizes from the markers for the salvage air connections please (the plates) ours have long since gone missing and I would like to have them made and then put them in our deck where they belong once more. Thank you

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2008, 02:38:07 PM »
Darrin - I'd love to...but I don't know what you are talking about.  Remember, I'm non-military.  If you can get me photos or something of what to look for, I can get those next time I'm down.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2008, 06:13:45 PM »
No problem Mark, BTW this one of the things that we are teaching on school of the boat right now

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2008, 10:48:37 PM »
We pulled those off last week...I'll locate them, take some photos and dimensions for you.

I'd like to take the school of the boat, but being in graduate school and up to 12:30 am every night...I don't have much time for what I do.  Maybe when you get done, you can run it again for new board members and people like me that played hooky.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2008, 08:55:59 AM »
That my friend will be up to Lance to archive the school of the boats as we go and hopefully make a folder on the bbs for them to go that way as time goes by so that all can use them for whatever they need.
Thank you for digging them out for me and taking a pic and dimentions of them, IF you go to the HNSA site and look under the air system you will find out where they go when you put them back on. ;)

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2008, 09:39:08 AM »
I couldn't remember if I sent a copy to Rick or not. It has two different schemes on it so you have to know which one to pick. It also has sketches that illustrate exactly where each color goes and the paint number for each different color. It's a wealth of info. When we get to the painting part, I have some good ideas on how to get it looking exactly like she did, at least paint wise.

Oh and completely non-related, in officer's row and the various heads, if we can remove all of the mirrors, I'll take them to work and get the guys in the polishing booth to shine them up and put a scratch resistant coting on them for us since you can hardly see through some of them anymore. We polish some of our lip-skin rings for our engine cowlings and it wouldn't be any trouble to have them polish a few extra pieces of metal one day.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »
Correy - are you going to be able to make it on the 4th or 18th?

I can assist you getting those mirrors down on either (or both) of those days.

Let me know.

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2008, 02:49:32 PM »
Can't do the 18th, I'm going to be doing a program for about 2000 school kids.
The 4th may be doeable though.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2008, 03:58:59 PM »
Good deal...hope to see you then.  We may end up with about 6 on the 4th then.

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2008, 04:39:50 PM »
Unfortunately, my wife just smacked me on the back of the head and reminded me that we have a formal dinner to go to the afternoon of the 4th.  :(
I guess, yet again, I won't be able to attend. STINK! If I have to come out there by myself, I'll be out there to help with the deck eventually.