Individual Submarine Boards > USS Marlin (SST-2)

THE USS MARLIN WILL BE OPENING TO THE PUBLIC AGAIN SOON

<< < (2/4) > >>

Lance Dean:
Marlin photos:

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/pics/marlin/

Darrin:
Thanks Lance,
the pics are great... she needs to be pressure washed and then painted and then she should be good to go on the outside, interior wise she needs minor touch up paint and a good cleaning and with some power you should be in business.  Be thankful that most if not everything is there and I am pretty sure that with just a little bit of work she will power all the way back up without too much problem (compared to the WWII Fleet Boats).

Bill, IF you and your group document everything that is done it will make it easier in the long run for those whom come after you and your crew to maintain her. TVA has done that with the Torsk and if you go to www.usstorsk.org and click on activities you will get to see all of the work weekends from the very first to the last one in '08.

Good luck, let me know if there is anything that I can do to help you

Viejo:
Lance, thanks for putting the photos up. Could you send me the email address, or send him mine, of the guy who took the outside pictures. I want to see if he is interested in helping out with her.
Thanks,
Bill :coolsmiley:

Lance Dean:
Done, info emailed to you.

Mark Sarsfield:
Did this boat only have one torpedo tube?  It looks like a single door is on the bottom of the bow.

The scope looks like it's in good shape and the CT appears to be intact.  Simple Green will help to clean a lot of stuff up and get some original shine back.  Light oil will also help to make old dull paint look like new glossy paint - it worked nicely on a fan that I restored and mounted in the Batfish ward room.  I used 3-in-1 oil.  It won't evaporate anywhere as quickly as say WD-40 or any other type of spray oil in a can.

I also used some denatured alcohol to remove excess paint drips off of some equipment.  It takes some elbow grease, but you reduce the risk of removing paint that you didn't want to remove.

Finally, make the boat look like it's being lived on.  Towels, bunk bags, fake food, dishes, etc.  Maybe, eventually you will be able to interest some local reenactors to hold one or two events per year on the boat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version