Author Topic: Batfish Deck  (Read 237520 times)

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Deck
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2008, 02:14:44 PM »
It was a good day. I couldn't be out on the boat but inside there were tons of people all day. One of the busiest days I have seen in a while. The chicken was awesome too!
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2008, 02:18:59 PM »
Sounds like a great time.  Cheers to the Batfish crew for your efforts!

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 22, 2008, 12:43:02 AM »
I really wish I could have been there guys, but i had come to the area the previous weekend, and could not afford the gas back down there, I might be able to come up in a few weeks though.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 22, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
John,
Stop getting run over and I will let you play..... ;D   You were a big help. 

Travis. 
Gas is going down.  By my estimates you can go about 40% farther on your gas money.  That should give you at least one trop to the boat.....   ;D

Come down when you can.   You are always welcome.

Rick

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 24, 2008, 02:17:48 PM »
is a before and after pic of the deck work don on the weekend of the 17-18.   Thank you again for all involved.  There are too many for my feeble mind to remember.  Thank you Dennis for the pics....

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 24, 2008, 02:24:49 PM »
lookin real good there folks :) :)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #156 on: October 24, 2008, 03:52:24 PM »
I have a silly question for you Batfish guys, how old is the deck you are replacing?  Has it ever been replaced since it became a museum boat?

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2008, 10:59:17 AM »
it is at least 15 years old.  It is a combination fo ripped 2x6 pine ceder and teak.  Nothing is standard other then the general deterioration of the deck as a whole.  I cannot wait to start getting the new stuff down and having the deck open again

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #158 on: November 01, 2008, 07:56:54 PM »
Brad, Brandt and I showed up today and did a little deck work.  Cut a few boards to length until Brandt showed up, then we were actually successful in installing 3 of the 16' boards.  They are straight and evenly spaced and by trial and error found a system that works really well.  We got it down to about 1 board per hour where each board (warped as they are) has 8 bolts to drill, countersink and then tighten.

Sorry - I forgot my camera today, maybe Rick can take a few photos of our start at putting the deck down.

It also ended up being rather warm for November and the bogey's (wasps) were thick.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 01, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »
It's crazy how long it takes to put the wood down. My friends are like, "Whats so hard, drill and bolt." I think they need to come out and see how it's done. But they aren't Batfish tough.  8)
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #160 on: November 01, 2008, 10:05:21 PM »
I'd rather go slow and get it right.  The deck forward that was previously installed is too wavy and may end up having to be re-done.

We took our time and did it right and the boards are as straight as you're going to get them and they are evenly spaced.  At this rate it will take until 2012 to get the current deck off and the new deck on...but it's being done right and will look good when we are done.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2008, 09:50:03 AM »
Mark,
remember to go slow and do it right the first time or you and your crew will be pullling it back up to do it right once more so it will be right.. and the second time that the crew has to put it down they tend to be a LITTLE mad :tickedoff:

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2008, 03:05:11 PM »
It's all trial and error.  fortunaetly we have a new volunteer/consultant on board that has ezperience with this type of stuff.   I figure by the time we get to the after end we will be experts and can hire ourselves out as a professional decking crew and start a fund raisor for our next big job.   Paint.......  :uglystupid2:

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »
Rick,

As we continue to get the deck down, will you save any scrap that you have? Preferably any pieces that have the outside surfaces and that are at least 6" long. The reason why is that I'm going to run several tests on the wood's ability to hold paint...or not hold paint as the case may be. I'm going to test out several different kinds of paint, including a two part epoxy paint that's guaranteed to stick to anything. I'm going to paint several pieces with several different brands, leave them outside, and see if we can get one that holds. Teak is almost the same density as Brazilian Purple Heart. If they could get lead based paint to hold, we should be able to find an alternative.

Correy

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2008, 11:30:23 AM »
I thought we were just going to let the wood age, and turn the dark brown.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."