General Boards > Submarine Related Chatter

Why did WWII subs stay on surface in storms?

<< < (3/3)

Darrin:
Honestly I don't know the whole reason behind it other then what I learned while on 688's and we just went DEEEP during those big storms :coolsmiley: 

Although there was the one time coming out of Korea during a Typhoon that kept bringing us up to the surface and then blowing us to 500 ft (depth wasn't much more then 600' at some points) that and the rocking and rolling was fun with 45+ degree's both ways (port and starboard) on top of the other motions made most of the crew sick as dog's and worked the hell out of the planesmen and the COW with pumping and blowing as fast as he could to keep us from broaching and to keep us from bouncing off of the bottom

Mark Sarsfield:
Brian,

SS deck guns didn't have stabilizing equipment, as far as I know.  So, anything beyond moderate seas pretty much made hitting anything impossible.  Some captains were discouraged with their crew's performance during target practice in calm seas and never fired their guns at all.  Other skippers had fire control equipment installed and took advantage of the extra armament. 

JTheotonio:
Thanks Mark - we had no stabilization on a fleet boat.  Think about those poor guys that went out in the O, R and S boats.  You ride out what the sea gives.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version