Author Topic: Daughter of WWII Veteran  (Read 8012 times)

Offline Lavinia

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Daughter of WWII Veteran
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »
Hello. My father is a WWII veteran. He was stationed on Aiea naval base in Hawaii from 1944 to 1946. He is 89-years old now and I am helping him put his story together. He started having nightmares and flashbacks several years ago. Since that time, we have had breakfast together every Wednesday. I ask questions, he sometimes answers, sometimes doesn't. In that time, I learned that what we thought he did during the war was only the abbreviated version. He actually worked in naval intelligence as a code breaker (Japanese code). And I also learned that there is good reason for his flashbacks. I am hoping that someone here can help me glean some more information for him.

As for me, I worked as a special education, elementary teacher for 15 years. Since leaving that position, I have worked as a freelance writer. I am now writing books. I am the mother of three plus a dog and a cat. (now I sound like that crazy animal person) Anyway--good to be here. And I am so happy to find a place that is all about submarines! ~L

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Daughter of WWII Veteran
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:19:44 PM »
Welcome, Lavinia.  Good luck with your project.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:33:37 AM »
Welcome!

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »
I Perosnally have done quit a bit of reasrch on the code breaking  system, alot of najovos were involved as well,  he knew maney langauges and the reason he just now told u was that the navy told each one of them not to tell anyone for any reason or anything,  and trust me maney of them went to their graves without telling anyone, he sepnt maney hours in a small office building though the buliding was huge his space was quit smal,l from the photos i saw in my book really the codebreaking system helped saved maney lives in the pacific ask i imagine he might of known the navjove langauge after all  most of our codes were in the langauge the jappanse back then changed their code soo maney times becuse it was really not hard to find the new one out. His work was very important in ww2 and trust me the codebreakers dont get enough attention alot of people forget about that  part of the war but trust me it was super important his training was outrages out of about 50 people only 10 or something would actully go to be a code breakers.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:05:57 PM by BrokenArrowtiger »
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian