Author Topic: Hello to everyone Fact finding for a GATO class submarine  (Read 31016 times)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Hello to everyone Fact finding for a GATO class submarine
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 01:42:35 AM »
I have a question for u guys. Do u think that boat was braught into service  during ww2 and did patrols or after ww2 ended .  Or She was launched too late to be apart of the war like the  USS LING
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 01:47:49 AM by BrokenArrowtiger »
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Materene

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »
Speaking for myself I think it is post war, I will say this!  I have no idea what the exact date this photo was given to my Grandmother, it was early 50's, I cannot say the photo was given at the time my Father last visited which was in or around 53 or 54, this photo may have been in my Mother's possession prior to that.  All I can say is that it is very old and was stored in a trunk as was most old pictures of that day.  The boat does have mooring damage on the bow so it wasn't a spanky brand new boat when this photo was taken. 

I should also take a moment to tell this, my Grandmother like a lot of other women did her part in world war 2 by working as a welder building Tanks and later actually welded Liberty ships in Galveston Texas.  I remember her telling me about the inspector at Galveston and how fat he was!  she said he was so big he could not crawl into the tight small hole areas to inspect the welds..... :D  Glad he didn't work for the sub builders

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »
I will always wonder how that fat dude became a  inspector. But on the flip note its really neat that ur mother did that honestly women who worked in the factorys during ww2 dont get enough credit for the job they did. One of my family members who served in ww2 i beleive was a sub cammander or something close.
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian