Author Topic: Cobia's Hull Cleaning  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
Cobia's Hull Cleaning
« on: September 06, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »
Hi all,

Hope everyone had a nice summer. I thought I should probably put an update on here since we have some exciting activity around the boat right now. First of all The Burger Boat Company finished up the above water repairs in July. They did some structural work in the fairwater, restored all the tank covers and added new gaskets, and patched a few holes here and there.

Right now Veolia Environmental Services is pressure washing the hull. They are removing several inches of zebra mussels, but the hull and coating from the last dry dock in '96 seems to be in good condition yet.  They also pumped out a few tanks which only raised the boat about 6 inches. They will need the clearance (now 2 1/2 ft at midship) for cleaning and the next phase. After the hull is cleaned they will do an ultrasonic test on the hull.

Also the 40mm is about 90% restored. We are just waiting for a barge and crane to go by one of these days and put it back aboard.

I posted a bunch of photos (Burger's work, Veolia's work, and gun restoration) on our Facebook page and here is a link to some of photos the local newspaper took... http://www.htrnews.com/article/20110831/MAN0101/110831116/Photos-USS-Cobia-sub-repairs-Wisconsin-Maritime-Museum

Karen