Author Topic: Restoration  (Read 7218 times)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Restoration
« on: October 02, 2011, 04:29:40 PM »
As a curious teen....iv been wondering on how far yall plan to restorate these vessels...i guses what im asking is , in the future could we see one or more of thees vessels run the waters on under their own power?
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 12:27:18 PM »
I can't speak for the other museum boats, but the USS Torsk, will never get under way on her own power.  While we were in the shipyard in February and March, we had the second of our two screws removed.  We teamed around the Baltimore Harbor, but it was under tow.  The screws were removed to fight electrolytic corrosion, which occurs when two dissimilar metals (bronze/brass and steel) come in contact with each other.  By removing the bronze screws a huge source of the corrosion was removed.

Offline nomad66

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:17:28 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, USS Silversides located in Muskegon, Michigan is still able to sail under its own power. I know that in previous years they have taken the boat out on Lake Michigan.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 07:04:35 PM »
Dang thats pretty neat..i would pay to have a ride one of the old boats :)...i bet the cod,pampinito and razorback could as well..
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:54:54 PM »
Hold the phone. Silversides also is sans screws and cannot move on her own power. She has been towed two times: For the BBC documentary "Nautilus" (circa 1995) and for a fakey ghosty movie about 10 years ago.

Offline nomad66

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 12:28:12 AM »
Ooops, sorry about the wrong info. I was only repeating what I was told by the volunteer leading our tour a few years ago. He told us the boat was taken out once a year.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 05:55:01 PM »
I bet the navy wouldnt be so happy if u let theese things run either.