Author Topic: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update  (Read 95435 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update
« on: April 05, 2008, 09:42:12 PM »
My wife and I today (4-5-08) began our work trying to restore the 40mm that Vaughn got moved to the aft bridge of the Batfish.  Originally, it was pointed aft at about about 40O above level.  Today, after a little elbow grease, were able to get barrel to raise from level to almost 60O above level.  We were also able to get the gun to swivel on it's base.  I've attached photos below.

This is pretty good (and much better than hoped for) since it's been sitting outside for who knows how many years.  We opened several gear boxes and the grease needs to be removed and replaced.  All grease zerks (sp?) were able to be removed (except one...and one more was missing) so it's just a matter of unplugging them and add more grease.

Both handles are missing and will have to be fabricated.  The connecting rod from the upper gear box to the lower gear box (port side) is gone and will have to be fabricated.  However we used a pair of channel locks and were able to move the gun horizontally and vertically.

One gun sight is there, the other is gone, so will have to fabricate it.  Both seats are there (non-original) and those will be cleaned, primered and then repainted.

Overall we are happy as we were thinking that the gun would be totally locked up.  Next time down (probably the 19th of April) we are going to clean out all the old grease we can get, unplug the zerks (sp?) and put new grease in the gear boxes.  Hopefully Vaughn will be there and I'll discuss the fabrication of a connecting rod to the port gear boxes.

Lance - could I get this as a sticky in the BATFISH section for those who might want to keep track of this (like me so I can find it easily when I have updates  :P )
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: BATFISH 40mm Restoration Update
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 10:07:54 PM »
This is GREAT news, Mark.  Bravo Zulu!  I think Cod or Cobia recently fabricated some handles for their 40mm.  I wish I could be down there to help on the 19th, but I'll be in K.C. that weekend and the following 2 weekends I have other commitments, as well.  I guess the next step will be to pressure wash and paint the whole thing.

Mark, are you the welder for the boat?  I was wondering if we could get foot holds put back on the sides of the superstructure to get up onto the bridge easier from outside?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 10:10:53 PM »
Yes, one of them did and I've seen that photo and have been researching it.  The problem for us is that we are missing parts on the handle "stubs" (I don't know what they are called).

I'm hoping to talk with Vaughn and see if he can come up with something. 

You'll be there for the reunion, right?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2008, 10:17:49 PM »
Yeah, I'll be there for reunion weekend and Memorial weekend.

One of my near term projects is to install a new power cord on the receiver up in the museum and move it back to the Batfish radio room.  I want to get an antenna connected to it and see if we can pick up any CW (morse code) - nothinmg fancy.  Just a long wire.  I'm guessing that it's a 20 meter receiver and it's reception can go around the globe - 20 meters is used a lot by amateur radio operators for trans-oceanic communications.

It would be nice to run some new antenna wire on the boat like was originally installed.  Long wires are easy to install, too.  I guess I just found myself another project. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 10:20:59 PM »
I guess I just found myself another project

Be careful or you'll have so many going on nothing will get done   :D  I think that's cool project.  I love the fact that things on the BATFISH may actually be restored to working condition.

I'd love to get the SJ mast rotating again.  The gear assembly is good, just need a motor.

Oh - and I"m no welder...that would be Vaughn and/or Ed.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 10:26:05 PM »
Okay.  Vaughn is whom I was thinking of.  I couldn't remeber which one of you Rick mentioned was the metal fabrication/welder guru.

1MC/7MC is on hold until I get a chance to talk to Derrick.  The more that I read the manual, the more complicated it gets - construction-wise.  Thing would have to be severly disassembled to replace everything that I want to replace.

The nice thing about a submarine is that a lot of the components were built for harsh conditions, including severe pressures from diving deep.  So, I'm not surprised that a little TLC is all that it's taking to get things working again on her.  You'd be surprised what still works, if we ever get power back to the I.C. switch board.  I bet the motor order telegraph system would fire right up.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:40:57 PM »
This is GREAT news, Mark.  Bravo Zulu!  I think Cod or Cobia recently fabricated some handles for their 40mm....

It was the Drum.  Here's Tom's post about it:

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/forum/index.php?topic=41.msg940#msg940

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 10:59:39 PM »
My Brovo Zulu to Mark and Lalani today.  It was very cool to see the 40 mm pointing to the sky again.   You just do not realize the rang thoes guns have until you get to see them move. 

Mark.  Lets post that invormation to the Save our Subs web page too.  Save photos as they will be good to take to tje USSVI convention this year.

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 11:11:35 PM »
Save photos as they will be good to take to tje USSVI convention this year.

I can burn you a CD/DVD with all the photos you want...just let me know.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
...Mark.  Lets post that information to the Save our Subs web page too.  Save photos as they will be good to take to tje USSVI convention this year...

Good idea.  Keep Rontini on his toes!  This is the kind of stuff that SoS wants, especially if you have some "before" pics to go with your "after" pics.

Rontini's contact info is at the very bottom of the website:
http://www.saveoursubmarines.com

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2008, 11:18:29 PM »
some "before" pics to go with your "after" pics.

Lord knows I have plenty of "before" pictures...when I get some "after" pic's of the 40mm...I'll post them. 

Maybe I should post the before/after of the SHARK Memorial we did.  Thoughts?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008, 11:19:32 PM »
Definitely.  We want to show progress.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 11:20:00 PM »
Lance,  
I sent them some before pics of the deck.  We are already starting removing the old deck on a limited basis.  I am going to work some smaller sections until the big crews come on and tear into it.   It is looking more and more like we can have this done by mid June.  

Mark
I can use all the publicity photos that we can get.  Especially ones from this time of year with everything in bloom.   Next time you are down remind me to show you what I am doing with the brochure.  We talked about it this morn, but never did show you the proto type.  I am looking for photos of the park and museum as well as photos of the boat.  inside and out.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 11:22:57 PM »
Not to be bossy, but if you guys are starting to rip up decking, the bridge is a good, out-of-the-public's-way location.  This should allow us to paint before putting new wood down, since there is no hurry to install the new wood.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2008, 11:26:04 PM »
good point.  we defenatly not moving to fast on this right now...